PDA

View Full Version : Portable DB questions

martin dtc
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Hello
Since a few days I have a DB from my External Hard Drive because I move a lot between 2 citys. I knew the speed would drop but its a pretty good 300GB hard drive so I wasnt that worried. And the speed in which the DB works is fine, there is an other problem: The mass-import speed.
If I import from a folder around 600k hands it will import at a rate of 6h/s which is extremely slow, I was used to 20 at least.
So my questions are:

1) What are all the things I can do to speed up importing a lot of hands from a folder?

2) What are all the hings I can do to speed up a DB coming from a External Hard Drive.

3) Does anybody know about a External Hard Drive which I can buy, that doenst influence the import speed that negatively. This would seem like a good investment to me.

Thank you.

Patvs
09-10-2010, 02:08 AM
read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

-1 turn off logging, editing the postgresql.conf file, don't import 1 million hands at once, but try to import them in smaller batches.

-2 vacuum/analyse/reindex the database, defrag the harddisk

-3 all these things #1/#2 can increase performance by 10-20%. Actually if you're lucky you can get the import speeds back to 20 hands/s.
The real performance cause is the actual external harddisk: so you would benefit mostly, if you used a eSATA/Firewire/USB 3.0 harddisk (and your computer must also have this port). Minor impact would be harddisk speed 7200 RPM, a larger harddisk 1 TB. Look for external harddisk benchmarks on anandtech/tomshardware. Try to pick the one with the highest 4K read/write speeds.