PDA

View Full Version : Problem moving database

WilliamAdams
09-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Hello, i just had a problem moving my desktop database to my laptop cause im gonna be away for a few months, y copied de database files as sugested here: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition) but i have problems when im trying to initialize holdem with the new files.

Its seems like i cannot start the service again and i got error msgs =/ please help me i can make this work and im missing a huge database of 25gb =/.

Thx in advance.

netsrak
09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Something went wrong during your move process - restore your original configuration and move the data folder back.

After it is running again create a backup via pgadminIII, uninstall postgresql, download and install the same postgresql version (from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)) and install it to your new partition. Create a new empty database via pgadmin and restore the backup.

WilliamAdams
09-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Its not working =/ cannot start the service... this is what im doing:<br />
<br />
1.- I have a the data folder from my desktop pc.<br />
2.- Im installing postgres and holdem manager on this laptop.<br />
3.- Im linking postgress with the data file from my desktop as posted on the link at the first post.<br />
4.- Rebooting pc<br />
5.- The service wont start =/ i tried to initialize it manualy but it said it can be initiated =/.

netsrak
09-08-2010, 04:32 AM
In this case the data folder and the postgresql version don't match.<br />
<br />
You need to run the fresh installation and restore a backup.

WilliamAdams
09-08-2010, 02:08 PM
So i must install the same version of postgress of the data folder? how can i now the version of my data.<br />
<br />
And what do u mean with fresh instalation? another posgress version matching my data? and what do u mean by restoring back up? =// how can y backup my data if i cant start the server with it.

WilliamAdams
09-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I think u got it wrong i dont have a backup of my database i have My Data folder from my old pc, how can i backup this database if i can start the service =//

Patvs
09-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Did you use SQL 8.3.x or 8.4.x?
You reinstalled the same version (it doesn't matter what "x" is) on your laptop?

Can you still connect to your database on your desktop??
Do you still have a backup of your archive folder? (if the archive folder is <10 GB the easiest solution would be fix the SQL issue, by installing a DIFFERENT version as before, and reimporting all the hands)

WilliamAdams
09-09-2010, 02:30 AM
I was trying wit SQL 8.4 but i also tryed with SQL 8.3 (uninstaling the 8.4) but its the same, as long as i Put the old data folder ( the one from my desktop ) the service wont start. I dont have acces to my desktop pc (its like 1000 miles away ). =/ I dont know what to to i cant create a backup cause i need the service to start to do that so the only thing i Have its the DATA folder with my old and big database of 24 GB and i can make it work on this laptop.

I can re-importa hands cause i dont have them here with me and also we are talking of nearly 3.5 million hands that would take a life to re-import so i need to make this Data folder work.

Patvs
09-09-2010, 03:01 AM
If you start by only reimporting 2010 hands. It should only take you a couple of hours. (just let it import while you sleep) You do have all the original handhistories?

"Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition" is only meant if you want to change the data folder on your computer.

Not for moving the data folder to a DIFFERENT computer.
For that create a .backup file in pgadminIII--> and restore the .backup file on the new computer.

Does ANYONE have access to your old computer? A .backup should be compressed by 1:12. You can easily sent a 1-2 GB file via Skype.

WilliamAdams
09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh i see, thank you for trying =/ it seems like theres no way to make that folder works =/ i will have to try the backup function. No i dont have the hand histories with me and the 3 million hands are from just one month, I bought some datamined hands.

Well thanks for ur time.