PDA

View Full Version : HEM restore backup, 18gig to 5 gig

spoutnic
09-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi again!

I did a backup from my old computer, postgresql 8.3.x, HEM 1.11.04, to my new computer, postgresql 8.4.4, same HEM. I had a 18,6gig data folder. Did a back up, the file was 156mb. Now, after the restore, the data folder is 5gig.

Did I lose something? Is it normal? What should I check?

I know its not your product, but when i open my hem on my old laptop, it keeps sending it to my then attached 2nd screen. How can i have my hem window appear to my laptop screen?

Thanks a lot for the support in the past, present, and futur.

Patvs
09-04-2010, 11:56 PM
8.3 backup is not compatible and can't be restored into 8.4

The 154 mb backup--> 5 GB might be normal
Check if you had 10 GB of log files in your SQL/data/pg_log folder which you can delete.

Monitor issue: can you open HM--> move HM to the correct screen. Then close HM--> restart HM...
it will go back to the wrong monitor?

spoutnic
09-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi,

What is the best way to transfer my database to my new computer?

Export/import:
My SQL/data/pg_log folder is 0, 18 gig in the data/base folder. I just exported my holdemmanager database and got a 32 mb folder!? My hmarchive is 375mb!? I did purge my hh and vacuum a few 100s hands ago (i played on my old laptop a bit after purge and vacum). Will i import my complete database like that? Will it inflate back to 18gig? Wich is better to use; hmarchive or exported folder?

Or should i use the pgadmin backup fonction?

Thank you

Ps. i unplogged my new cpu 2nd screen(long process).

spoutnic
09-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Hi,

What is the best way to transfer my database to my new computer?

Export/import:
My SQL/data/pg_log folder is 0, 18 gig in the data/base folder. I just exported my holdemmanager database and got a 32 mb folder!? My hmarchive is 375mb!? I did purge my hh and vacuum a few 100s hands ago (i played on my old laptop a bit after purge and vacum). Will i import my complete database like that? Will it inflate back to 18gig? Wich is better to use; hmarchive or exported folder?

Or should i use the pgadmin backup fonction?

Thank you

Ps. i unplogged my new cpu 2nd screen(long process).

Edit: I just imported the 32mb file,now i have a 5,25gig database, instead of 5gig.

spoutnic
09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I just did a backup with pgadmin, and i have a 163 mb file.

I dont understand. I used to use pt3, transfered my pt3 data to hem successfully, back in june. If i have pt3 and hem in my data/base folder, i should end up with a bigger data from hem, like at the least more than half.

I will restore it in a new database created with pgadmin (like explained in the faq) and see what happens.

Thank you for your help

netsrak
09-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Seems like the new HM backup function didn't work properly in your case. Please use the pgadmin backup.

spoutnic
09-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Now, i finished the restore with pgadmin; 5,15gig data folder... About the same thing as with the backup restore fonction in hem. And i have a problem connecting to the database... Im about to quit. But if you have suggestion to try, tell me. i will use the backup restore in hem again(i deleted the database before doing the pgadmin restore).

ty

Patvs
09-05-2010, 04:44 PM
If you purged hands---> don't export your database. But create and restore a .backup in pgadminIII. (or reimport the original handhistories into a new database)

SQL connection problems:

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

spoutnic
09-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I did a backup restore with pgadmin to have a 5,15gig data/base folder. About the same thing I got with the restore backuo from hem software.

About connection error, sorry, i meant i got this:
"The following error occured when trying to open the database: Unable to read data from the transport connexion: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host." I click ok. I get database control panel. I click connect. I have create new database button. i click it. It asks me database name(to create). I call it holdemmanager, leave encoding to utf, click create db. Back to previous window, i can start hem.

I feel its like i have a choice; use postgresql 8.3 with probably all my database or 8.4 with 30% of my database. I really want to go 64bit even if i dont have a clue what good it can really do. If you have suggestions to try to get my whole database on 8.4, I should do it.

Thank you for the help

Patvs
09-06-2010, 01:51 AM
The 8.3 connection fails?

On which site were all of your hands played?
If Stars/FullTilt/Party--> just request ALL your hands via email.

Move to 8.4.4--> reimport them.