PDA

View Full Version : Playing poker in 2 citys

martin dtc
09-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Hello
I am a student and play poker on a PC in two different cities.
At this moment i have to zip the wordpad hand histories each time I played and send them to the other PC and import them there. I also have to do the mass imports twice. This can be time costing and annoying.

Thats why I got the following plan:
I bought a 300GB extern hard drive, which on both PC's is known as F:\. Is it possible to start a new database from this F drive. So everytime I plug in the extern hard drive (in city 1 or 2) in my PC it will load the Database from the F:\ destination. This way I dont have to import everything twice. When it comes to marking and replaying hands its also a big pre if I have one database.

If there are other suggestions for playing 2 PC's (200 miles away) with 1 database I would be happy to hear it.

PS: I used both my HEM activation codes for both the PC's. If I have to reinstall HEM on the F:\ will this be possible?

netsrak
09-04-2010, 09:38 AM
You don't have to install HEM on F:.
Its just postgresql which needs the database on F:. In general it is possible to install postgresql and the database on an external HDD and access it from 2 computers. But it is very unreliable and you need to be extremly carefull when you connect / disconnect the HDD to the computers and you should have a good computer knowledge.

Here is the FAQ for it: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How do I setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers? (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/336/How+do+I+setup+Holdem+Manager+to+share+one+databas e+between+two+computers%3F)

For sharing one database over the internet read this FAQ: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/90/Run+PostgreSQL+Over+a+Network+

martin dtc
09-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Where can I find options with the saving of databases..
Now it is probably somewhere in C:/program files/hem, but how can u make sure the database is loaded from the F:/drive..

Patvs
09-05-2010, 12:35 AM
read: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition)

martin dtc
09-05-2010, 03:45 PM
read: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition)

This is great stuff.
Im busy with it right now.
I just have to question in advance, which I couldnt find in the FAQ.

1) Do I have to do all the steps on both computers? or the 2nd computers just certain steps?

2) Is it possible to start a new clean database from the new postgres on the I/F-drive so that I can make a new start with a 'portable database'?

Thank you.

Patvs
09-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Easiest thing to do. (where you don't have to edit the registry)
UNINSTALL SQL.
Manually delete the remaining SQL folders.

Reinstall SQL (with the 8.4.4 installer from www.postgresql.org)---> this time select the installation folder on a different partition.

Reimport all your hands into the new database.

----

After doing this on computer #1, do the same on computer #2. (though on computer #2 it won't reinstall SQL, it will only recognize the existing installation and automatically change the registry settings)

martin dtc
09-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Easiest thing to do. (where you don't have to edit the registry)
UNINSTALL SQL.
Manually delete the remaining SQL folders.

Reinstall SQL (with the 8.4.4 installer from www.postgresql.org)---> this time select the installation folder on a different partition.

Reimport all your hands into the new database.

----

After doing this on computer #1, do the same on computer #2. (though on computer #2 it won't reinstall SQL, it will only recognize the existing installation and automatically change the registry settings)

I've already done something different.
I followed steps to move Postgresql to my External Hard Drive. Now Im going to the other PC in 2 days.
If I plug in my EHD there and go to regedit and make sure postgres loads from my EHD, it will work fine, right?
btw: I made a completely new DB

Patvs
09-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Yep should work....