PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Connect to Postgres, followed sticky

bleslie
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi,

Suddenly I cannot conect to postgres. I followed the sticky, and tried reinstalling it, but nothing changes, I have even uninstalled my antiviris

cneuy3
09-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Same for me. Yesterday was getting windows write errors but still able to connect to HM. Today I cannot even connect to HM.

cneuy3
09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Also, I'm able to run HM using Postgres version 8.4 but unfortunately not able to retrieve my old database which is what I need.

Patvs
09-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

@bleslie try to download SQL 8.4.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

@cneuy3 was your old database created in SQL 8.4 or 8.3?
Did you change the port number (or install directory) when you reinstalled SQL?

cneuy3
09-02-2010, 01:21 AM

The Old database I'm trying to retrieve was created in 8.3. When I installed 8.4 it installed to a different location. I did not install 8.4 over 8.3. I believe it was installed to the same port number but I'm not sure where to check that information.

Anyway, I recently uninstalled the working 8.4 and have been experimenting with things trying to get 8.3 to work again. I tried installing 8.3, selecting modify 8.3 and that did not work. When I go to services and select to start 8.3 it give me an error message, "Windows - Delayed Write Fail" and fails to start.

Yesterday while running HoldemManager, I started receiving these same "Windows - Delayed Write Failed" errors messages. HoldemManager continued to run however. It was only later that day that it failed to start completely.

Any suggestions?

Patvs
09-02-2010, 02:00 AM
8.3 and 8.4 are not compatible with each other.
You can either reinstall SQL 8.3--> trying to connect to your old database.
If 8.3 won't run (you're using the 8.3.11 installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)) ?

Install SQL 8.4.4 and reimport the original hands into a NEW database.