PDA

View Full Version : Please help, cannot connect to data base (or even open hem) postgres install problems

Volcom777
08-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I have not used hem for quite some time now and had deleted it a while ago from my pc. I then reinstalled it but never got it working again and gave up.

I was unable to connect to your server to validate earlier. I uninstalled and reinstalled hem and postgres. There was errors during postgres install and it said that it may not work correctly or something like that (during combo install). I tried installing postgres by itself and got the same error message.

I somehow was able to finally get connected to your server and validate, i think...

When I open hem now i get a pop up that says "the following error occurred when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to '(some numbers that im not sure if i should post here)' ". I click ok and it takes me to the database control panel where it says connect to postgresql at the top, it has server/port/login/password boxes that already have info in them. It says "holem manager needs to know where to find the database.

When i click "connect" button i get a pop up that says "a connection to postgresql could not be made. Would you like to have hem attempt to start the service?", i click yes and i get pop up "hem was unable to start the service", i click ok and it says "hem has started the service. please try again". Rinse, repeat.......

Im sorry but I am very very dumb with computers and i do not understand or know how to do alot of your instructions in the fact to trouble shoot on my own. Please help with this as i have been messing with this for hours now downloading things and re downloading.....

I have windows xp and am using Firefox. Thanks

netsrak
08-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Solutions:
1. Reboot your computer
2. If that doesn't help look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
3. Check our FAQ: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

Volcom777
08-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Solutions:
1. Reboot your computer
2. If that doesn't help look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
3. Check our FAQ: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

Ok so I rebooted my computer, and very oddly I now have a 3rd user account on my desktop titled "postgres". I have only ever had 2 user accounts on my pc, my admin account and 1 secondary account. I do not know what I did, but how did postgres create a user account on my pc? I do see the user account in my control panel but I have not deleted it yet.

The same problem was still there after reboot, so I checked for the postmaster.pid file but I do not see it. I have 3 folders in my postgres file, I see 8.3, 8.4, and 8.4-prev-2010-11-Aug-15-37-44. The only postmaster file I see in the data folder in the 3 folders named above is "postmaster.opts". There are quite a few other folders inside the "data" folder, do I need to open all folders inside data to check for postmaster.pid?

I have not done your step 3 yet as maybe you have some other advice from my findings....thanks.

Volcom777
08-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Solutions:
1. Reboot your computer

Nothing I do seems to work. I completely uninstalled hem/postgresql/comodo/avira/super anti spyware/malwarebytes from my computer and rebooted. I disabled windows firewall and currently have no anti spyware programs installed. I re-downloaded the combo installer and still got the same error message that postgresql could not be installed, installation was not complete. I open hem and get the same error message with the 127.0.0.1. and followed all faqs in your step 3 and nothing helped.

Postgresql was not started and will not start, when I try to start it i get "system error 5". I do not see windows "defender" anywhere in my control panel so that is one thing I could not check. Alls I have is windows firewall in my control panel.

Please help, I am so frustrated with this.

Volcom777
08-29-2010, 05:52 PM
to early to bump this.....

netsrak
08-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.