PDA

View Full Version : error installing PostgreSQL

vikshrasss
08-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I get this message:
"an error occurred executing the Microsoft vc++ runtime installer"
and then short after "sorry, could not install PostgreSQL"

I have disabled firewalls, uninstalled antiwirus. still get the same. I have win xp sp3

could you help me here please

cbk1013
08-27-2010, 08:48 PM
same problem! need help as well vista

Patvs
08-28-2010, 12:07 AM
install VC++ 2005 and VC++ 2008 both first from the microsoft website

(just google: "vc++ 2005" and "vc++ 2008", the download link should be the frst link)

--> then try the SQL installer again

vikshrasss
08-28-2010, 04:51 AM
Done that as well, still the same

netsrak
08-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Is your windows scripting host enabled?
Secondary logon service enabled?

Please try to install postgresql 8.3 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

vikshrasss
08-28-2010, 11:46 AM
sorted, reinstalled another windows and no problems there. Thanks

larrondo
08-29-2010, 01:52 AM
I have utterly failed as well. Running Vista 32. Uninstalled AVG, Spy Bot, Ad Aware, make an exception in the firewall, etc. Updated VC++ as instructed. As far as I know Windows script hosting is enabled, but I'm not sure because all the online directions I found were a bit wonky. Likewise, I never touched the defaults with secondary logon.

The weird thing is, even though I get the error message, there is now a new user on my computer, named Postgres. And it came password protected, which I just removed (since I don't know the password.) So I'm not sure if it's worked, even though it tells me it didn't.

netsrak
08-29-2010, 06:00 AM
The postgresql windows service must be running.
You need to be able to connect to your database server via pgadminIII.

If that doesn't work try downloading and installing postgresql 8.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).
If that fails please try version 8.3.

larrondo
08-29-2010, 10:09 AM
The postgresql windows service must be running.
You need to be able to connect to your database server via pgadminIII.

If that doesn't work try downloading and installing postgresql 8.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).
If that fails please try version 8.3.

Terribly sorry for being a retard, but I've used a MAC my whole life up until now. I don't know what you just said about making sure postgresql windows service is running. I assume you just mean it has to be installed in such a way that I don't get that error-- yes? And I have no idea how to tell my computer to connect to the database server via pgadminIII. Can you talk me through that?

I already did try downloading postgresql 8.3 as described above and got the same error.

larrondo
08-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Actually, when I try to install 8.3 I'm getting a different error message- "problem running post install step. Installation may not be completed correctly. Error reading file C:/Program Files/PostgresQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf"

larrondo
08-29-2010, 10:32 AM
OK, it warned me that it might not be installed properly, but did finish. Which is sort of what happened before-- it would tell me the installation didn't work, but there would be a new user named postgre. What about Stack Builder-- now it wants to install that but it's asked me to select the installation you are installing software for from the list below-- and the list below is currently empty.

larrondo
08-29-2010, 11:30 AM
OK, it warned me that it might not be installed properly, but did finish. Which is sort of what happened before-- it would tell me the installation didn't work, but there would be a new user named postgre. What about Stack Builder-- now it wants to install that but it's asked me to select the installation you are installing software for from the list below-- and the list below is currently empty.

And since it's told me that postgre was probably not installed correctly I'm a bit wary of proceeding.

larrondo
08-29-2010, 11:33 AM
OK, I canceled Stack Builder and now there is no postgre user listed. So I guess it didn't finish.

I know that I am articulating this like a dribbling child. But I'm pretty helpless and none of the steps seem to be working or happening as they are supposed to.

Patvs
08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
pm sent