PDA

View Full Version : problems with HM connecting to database server

Lakatherinka
11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Hello ! I installed my postgresql first and after I installed the HM2. When I try to execute the file, it says that it can't connect to the server database. It says that the IP, port or password for database are wrong. I tried to install again the postgresql, changing it with an older version but it's the same thing. At the end of the installation a message appears saying: " Problem running post install step. Installation may not complete correctly. Failed to start the database server." . I've been searching and trying for 2 days now to get it work but seems like rocket science ( and I am pretty good with computers ). I've watched one of the videos for troubleshooting and I noticed that if I press Start and type "start", nothing related to the HM or database appears. I'm not sure that I posted this message in the correct forum division and I am sorry if I did something wrong. If you have further questions I will answer them a.s.a.p. Thank you for the help ! Valentin

Patvs
11-26-2012, 08:59 PM
If you have Win7 (or Vista), consider the following:
1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed.
This means: if you have Russian (or French, or else) Windows - your PC name possibly contains "non-english" letters.
Like "????-PC" or "Rene-PC"
The same with windows username. Or spaces in the name.
Postgres doesn't like that - and won't run as a result of it.
3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart".
This is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services.
4) UAC = OFF ( How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/30/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/) )
5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB (http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#windows)
8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
net user postgres /del
exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.
)

Patvs
11-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Also check your hosts file:
Read: http://holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8182

Lakatherinka
11-27-2012, 03:54 AM

Hi ! I uninstalled postgresql and HM2 completely from my computer. After I rebooted, I turned off the antivirus and after checking again all that you mentioned above, I right-clicked the postgresql installer which I downloaded from the official site and tried to install it. The same error like always occurred. After this error, just like nothing happened, I received the confirmation that postgresql was installed.

All in all, I did everything that you told me to do.

1. My computer name is Valy
2. My windows user name is Valentin
3. Secondary logon service is set to "automatic"
4. UAC = OFF
5. Firewall and Antivirus were disabled
6. I ran the installation under admin. ----- And do them as first thing after PC reboot. ----- I didn't really get this... This means that I don't have to open any other application before running postgresql installation?
7. I didn't change the path. Left it as it is
8. My windows is in English
9. I didn't install HM2. I couldn't install postgresql so I didn't see the point...
10. net user postgres /del - Done
11. This step should be done after the successful installation...

Sorry about this but I did everything written in this post but didn't help...

DogNamedBluff
11-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Please email hm2support@holdemmanager.com, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session.

Please let us know when you are available in GMT time. Please remember that we schedule a couple days in advance and need to fit into our schedules. So give us a few days range of times and notice.

The World Clock (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/) - This link will help you convert your time.

Lakatherinka
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Done ! I've sent an e-mail with everything that you've asked me for. Waiting for the confirmation. Thank you !