PDA

View Full Version : where are they?

surfsk869
08-23-2010, 01:37 AM
just changed operating systems and and am trying to restore all my hem stuff - however, i cant seem to find what folder my notes were kept in. anyone know

netsrak
08-23-2010, 04:45 AM
The notes are saved in the postgresql database.
To copy them from another computer you need to export / import them.

surfsk869
08-23-2010, 01:47 PM
jus gave that a whirl. opened my backup HD loaded HEM and exported notes. that weird thing is when i went back to my usual HD and opened up the HEM i normally used and tried importing the notes i had just exported it told me 0 notes were found, much to my dismay...

whats the deal?

Patvs
08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
How large is the exported notes file?
Which HoldemManager version and which SQL version did you use on the old PC?

surfsk869
08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
How large is the exported notes file?
Which HoldemManager version and which SQL version did you use on the old PC?

the size of the exported notes file is 1kb - version of HEM was 1.11.4.2602 , not sure about the sql

netsrak
08-24-2010, 10:31 AM
After the export you should have received a message "x notes exported to ...".
How many notes where exported?

surfsk869
08-24-2010, 04:29 PM
it tells me there were 23 notes exported. however im pretty sure those are just the notes ive taken since the comp update bc i had a ton more than that before. not sure if it is of any help, but when i crank up my backup HD and run HEM it is exactly the same as when i run it from my normal HD, ie it has all my hands/results from the past several days when i have been running HEM exclusively on my primary HD. in addition, it prompts me to register HEM from the old HD, and when i got back to run it on my main hard drive it makes me register yet again. kinda odd.. hope this is of some help

netsrak
08-25-2010, 05:06 AM
You can't change the postgresql database by booting HM from a different HD.

You need to use different postgresql installations for accessing your old database:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)

But as you have already created a new postgresql database it is now difficult to access the old one.
This might work (assuming that you are using Postgresql 8.4):
1. create a backup of your postgresql database via pgadminIII
2. uninstall postgresql
3. rename the data folder of your postgresql installation (something like c:\program files\postgresql\8.4\data) to data.new
4. download and install postgresql 8.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) following this faq: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)
5. Start HM connecting to your old database.
5a. for future problems: create a backup of your old database via pgadminIII
6. Export notes
7. Uninstall Postgresql
8. rename the data folder to data.old
9. rename data.new to data
10. Step 4 again.
11. Start HM and connect to your new database and import the notes.