PDA

View Full Version : Help needed badly, database related

yesright
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
I have 3 large hem databases totallying around 200 gigs

My win XP machine crashed and I am having touble getting windows to work correctly, i might have to do a frsh install on a new drive.

Is it a simple case of copying the files form the postgre directory to get the database back.

I really dont want to go through the touble of starting from scratch as it will take me maybe a week to load up all the HHs

yesright
08-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Any chance anyone can offer any help?

my postgre db is 8.3.0

Is it just a case of cop all the data files?

Should I make a fresh install on my new hard drive, will the data be compatible with a newer installation?

I am desperate for help and dont know anyone else to turn to to get HEM working again.

Patvs
08-17-2010, 03:43 AM
It's not as simple as copying the SQL folder back. Though you can try it. (50% success-rate)

-1 can you delete the data in your SQL/data/pg_log folder
I'm assuming you have more than 100 GB of data in there you can delete
-2 SQL 8.3 is not compatible with SQL 8.4--> so in attempting to copy the data folder back--> also manually install SQL 8.3 (NOT 8.4 we use in our main installer)
-3 If that fails.... just go with SQL 8.4 and reimport the original handhistories into the new database. When finished with the import... BACKUP THE DATABASE--> creating a .backup file. So you can always easily RESTORE that, instead of having the reimport the actual handhistories.

yesright
08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
It's not as simple as copying the SQL folder back. Though you can try it. (50% success-rate)

-1 can you delete the data in your SQL/data/pg_log folder
I'm assuming you have more than 100 GB of data in there you can delete
-2 SQL 8.3 is not compatible with SQL 8.4--> so in attempting to copy the data folder back--> also manually install SQL 8.3 (NOT 8.4 we use in our main installer)
-3 If that fails.... just go with SQL 8.4 and reimport the original handhistories into the new database. When finished with the import... BACKUP THE DATABASE--> creating a .backup file. So you can always easily RESTORE that, instead of having the reimport the actual handhistories.

(1) I dont have any log files as I removed the option in the config file to save space, its pure 200 gigs of data

(2)Pretty sure I have version 8.3.0 but would any 8.3.x be compatible with the files

(3) Will do, on tip 3

(A) Do you/anyone know know where I can download a version of postgreSQL 8.3.0 ? to try it out

(B) Then what should a copy from my old 8.3 DIR, (the whole 8.3 dir?) or just the data?

(C) Then what is the procedure for installing HEM? on top to read the databases? Will it pick them up? , should i use the full install?

yesright
08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Just as an update i am going to try the following

Download and install 8.3.11

Copy the entire old 8.3 dir over the top of the new one.

Install HEM to see if it works.

yesright
08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I do have one more question?

Is my serial code the same as when I purchased HEM in 2009

Patvs
08-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Just as an update i am going to try the following

Download and install 8.3.11

Copy the entire old 8.3 dir over the top of the new one.

Install HEM to see if it works.

SQL 8.3.0 is compatible with every 8.3.x so also 8.3.11.

You serial code remains the same as it was when purchased HEM in 2009.

Use the full HM installer.. but don't let it install SQL.

yesright
08-17-2010, 12:45 PM
OK, great, thanks for your help, I will give an update on how it goes.

yesright
08-17-2010, 12:59 PM
OK, I tried to open Postrgre in pgAdmin III

I cant get the password to work?

Anyone know how I reset or remove the password?

yesright
08-17-2010, 02:16 PM
When I try and install 8.3.11 over the top it claims.........

------------------------------------------------------------
The existing data directory (date/time setting: floating point numbers)
is not compatible with the server (date/time setting: 64 bit intergers)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Any idea what that means?

netsrak
08-18-2010, 04:21 AM
It means that 8.3.11 is NOT compatible with your old data folder. That surprises me too. You should try with an older 8.3.x release.

yesright
08-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi

Can you tell me where I can download early 8.3.X versions?

Is there a website that keeps archives?

netsrak
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
I think you find them on PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)