PDA

View Full Version : Failed Database Migration

hypertyper
08-14-2010, 07:16 AM
I've got a new PC and my sql database is on my data hard drive so I've got it with me. The last time I had to re install HM I simply followed this tutorial:

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition)

which is great but this time the postgre service doesn't start when I change the path to the directory with the old database. I noticed that in the screens of the tutorial it is talking about version 8.3 and now I have 8.4 on my PC. The only reason I can think of for why it might not be working is incompatible versions but it hasn't been that long since my last update before this one so it seems weird.

When I restore the path to the default setting in the registry the service starts as normal and so does HM. This is the reg entry after I change the path:

C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N "postgresql-8.4" -D "F:\P\PostgreSQLData\data" -w

I copied the path from the explorer so don't see where it's going wrong.

I'm using Windows7 64 but that's exactly what I have been using...

UAC is off, logged in as Admin.

Tried completely disabling antivirus and firewall.
Any suggestions?

netsrak
08-14-2010, 07:38 AM
This FAQ doesn't work when changing the postgresql version.

You need to backup your old database using pgadminIII and restore it on the new pc with pgadmin too.

hypertyper
08-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Are you sure that the version is the problem? Has there been a change in versions recently?

It seems likely but I'd rather doublecheck...

Is there a guide for how to backup and restore the database?

I've looked at pgadmin and their documentation and I don't know where to start...

Cheers

netsrak
08-14-2010, 12:53 PM
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)