PDA

View Full Version : import errors

lofwyr3821
10-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Hello,

I have been getting imports errors recently.

I have been using HEM for about 10-15 days and everything worked fine, no imports errors.

5 days ago, when I imported hands from FTP with the 1.06.03h version

I started getting import errors, it would go for exemple files imported 10 hands imported 10 and imports errors 13.

I read the forum a bit and saw someone who had the same problem, he exported all his hand histories and imported them back into a new database and got rid of the problem.

I did this and it worked, but yesterday it started doing import errors again.

I certainly do not want to create a new database each 5 days as it is very time consuming and I cannot play during that timeframe.

Is there any way you can help me ?

Thanks,
Kaven

morny
10-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah i can understand the hassle of creating new databases.

The 2 most common causes of this problems are 1) powering off your computer or having your computer lose power while the database is doing something and 2) an old drive with bad sectors on it. Basically what happens is a small portion of a file gets slightly corrupt and then when you reboot and windows goes into that checkdsk procedure it finds the bad section and, thinking it is doing a good thing, removes it. Postgres then loads the table and a portion of it is gone so it doesn’t like that and blocks access to the entire table. Normally when this happens it is on a completely useless file that you'll never even notice is now gone and quite often it will happen to an index in the DB which can easily be rebuilt but in your case it happened to one or more of the tables.

So, to protect against this

1) keep you hands histories in case you do need to reimport
2) use a power bar and avoid hard shutdowns (when you flick the power switch on the pc instead of choosing shut down or killing a process before HM has the chance to close itself)
3) if your drive is old consider replacing it with a new one. They are cheap and much faster now than even a few years ago.