PDA

View Full Version : New Windows Installation - Keep old separate DB

Azalin
08-08-2010, 06:36 AM
I am currently running Win XP Pro 32bit and 1.11.03 HEM on C: drive.

I have installed postgresql 8.4 on D: drive.

What I would like to do is to install Win XP 7 Ultimate in E: drive and install HEM there and to be able to connect to postgresql database that I already have in D. What is the best/easiest way to do that?

Also, one additional question (it does not necessarily apply to this problem):

If I use backup and restore from HEM do I need to make a new installation from the HEM comboinstaller first and then use the restore option? (meaning that postgresql would have been installed already from the installer and in reality the restore from HEM is a restore from postgresql apart from the HEM settings ofcourse). I am trying to figure out how the backup and restore works - in particular if what I wrote above its true then what version of postgresql is used in the comboinstaller? If I have installed hem not from the comboinstaller and postgresql separately meaning that I have different version of postgresql than the one used in the comboinstaller the backup/restore would not create problems in a new HEM installation that was done with the comboinstaller?

Patvs
08-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Install Win 7 on E:---> install SQL 8.4 to the same folder on D:
--> and it should be able to find the old 8.4 SQL database on D:

Back & Restore--> you don't have to reinstall HM.
You can use one HM installation--> you ONLY need to make sure the SQL install is solved so HM detects the running SQL 8.4 on Win 7.

The combo installer uses 8.4.1 which is compatible with every 8.4.x version.
The restore won't work is the backup was created in 8.3.x.--> unless you also install 8.3.x to restore to

Azalin
08-11-2010, 05:29 AM
I installed in the same folder as instructed and I managed to start the server after many tries (deactivated defender/win firewall/edited host file etc) but I still have a problem.

When I try to connect to my database I receive an error (in HEM and in pgadmin)

FATAL: could not open relation base/16395/133293: Permission denied

I would certainly appreciate any help on this one. I am SO close :/

Patvs
08-11-2010, 07:06 AM
For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Also add those exe files + postgres.exe and pg_ct.exe to the Windows Firewall expceptions list.

Azalin
08-11-2010, 07:45 AM
For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Also add those exe files + postgres.exe and pg_ct.exe to the Windows Firewall expceptions list.

The dbcontrolpanel.exe,hmhud.exe and holdemmanager.exe were already checked to run as admin. The postgres.exe and pg_ctl.exe (could not find pg_ct.exe I assume you meant pg_ctl.exe) were not but even after I checked them to run as admin and added all those to windows firewall exception list (which BTW is turned off) and restarted the problem still remains:

FATAL: could not open relation base/16395/133293: Permission denied

:(((((

Azalin
08-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I would like to add that I gave full permissions to user postgres to all the files in the postgresql folder and also that I have nothing installed on this OS except Windows 7 ofcourse and HEM (so no antivirus/firewall or any other program). I have installed postgreSQL from the one clicker for windows (8.4.4 and my old version was 8.4.4) on the other partition as I mentioned above.

Patvs
08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
If you run dbcontrolpanel.exe--> are you able to create a NEW database??
Try that... or do you get the same error when trying to create/use a new database?

Azalin
08-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I tried to create a new database running dbcontrolpanel.exe. I got the same message BUT after I pressed OK it appears that the new db was created succesfully. I can connect to it using either HEM or pgadmin with no problems at all.

Now?

Patvs
08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
If you can use the new database without getting the error.
--> reimport all your hands into the new database

Azalin
08-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Well.. I think the problem is solved.. I actually searched and found in the "data" the "base" subfolder and in that I saw the 2 folders in question that I could not connect. It appears that user postgres did NOT have permissions for those which is strange cause I gave permissions to all the DATA folder and its subfolders should have inherited those (I tested 2-3 files and postgres had permissions inherited normally..)

The two files for SOME reason did not have inherited those - go figure. Thanks for all the help Patvs.