PDA

View Full Version : Moving DB to new pc

choochoo
08-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Can anyone link me to info on how to do this?

Currently using Windows Vista + HEM 1.11.03 + Postgres 8.2, will be moving db to a new pc with Windows 7. Hopefully there is a "how to" guide somewhere here already.

choochoo
08-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Just found this

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)

Should moving the db be as easy as backup on old pc and restore on new pc?

Also, regarding the info in my original post, are there any tweaks I need to be aware of? Should I upgrade postgres on my old pc, for example, so that I can have a newer version of postgres on my new one? Or just use an old postgres version to the backup/restore, and then upgrade postgres on the new pc?

Patvs
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
SQL 8.2 is not compatible with 8.3/and 8.4
So if you have a large SQL 8.2 database with a proper backup you wish to restore--> just stick to SQL 8.2

choochoo
08-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Ok, so I need to install 8.2 on W7 pc to restore.

Before backing up my old pc, is doing a dump/restore a good idea?

choochoo
08-08-2010, 05:30 AM
More questions. How do I check the which is the exact postgres version I have?

If I backup in HEM, and restore in HEM, does the postgres version still need to be the same on both pc's?

netsrak
08-08-2010, 06:01 AM
You may find the exact postgresql version in the log files in the postgresql subfolders. The major version should be in the service name or if you connect to your database server via pgadmin and look at the properties.

You should do a backup of your 8.2 database and please try to restore this with 8.3. This should work. And if you make a backup with 8.3 you may be able to restore it with 8.4.

Patvs
08-08-2010, 06:34 PM
You don't have to do the dump/restore

If you open pgadminIII--> you can see which SQL version is running on which port.

The SQL version the back was created in must be the same you're restoring to. You can restore a 8.2.1 back---> to a 8.2.16 installation.
Any 8.2.x <---> 8.2.x.

You can't restore a 8.2.x<---> to 8.3.x

choochoo
08-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Is exporting the hands from my db, then importing them to a new db on the new pc, a better option than backup/restoring? That way would I be able to upgrade to 8.4 on the new pc, right? I'm guessing the export/import would take a lot longer than backup/restore?

Patvs
08-09-2010, 02:23 AM
yes..... better.. allows you to upgrade SQL...
but importing takes more time.. than restoring a .backup