PDA

View Full Version : Clean install Win 7 on new SSD, about to install combo installer.

Bennobal
07-31-2010, 04:03 PM
I just did a brand new install of win 7. I have the OS on SSD and data will be on 2nd (regular) HDD. I now want to install HM and postgres on the SSD. Afterwards I want to import (backup/restore) my DB in the PGadmin. I backed it up from my last system which was running postgres 8.2. I guess HMcomboinstaller will install postgres 8.4.x. Will my plan work? Can I still use my existing password etc from postgres.? Or will everything be new and do I have to re import all hands since like 2008? (I have those in archive on ext HD).

Is there a guide or step by step thing for my situation? I dont want to run into issues from postgres and the 8.4 coding/passwords problems etc.

_Loki_
07-31-2010, 07:06 PM
###
Hi Bennobal

I noted these posts:
>> http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

You wrote this:

...want to install 8.3 as there where some difficulties for others installing 8.4 ánd the performance increase is not significant ( but from 8.2 to 8.3.11 it is) so I'll just install 8.3 on my new OS...I'm not to far from 1 MM hands..I can make it w/ 80GB, maybe just put office on regular HD

Karsten replied with this:

...make a backup via pgadminIII and export all your hands, notes and summaries as 2nd level backup. I'm not sure whether Postgresql 8.4 supports importing a 8.2 backup

###
This is the FAQ regarding backup/restore via pgAdminIII:
>> FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)
Here are two quotes from it:
Note: To increase the chance of this working, make sure you install the same version of PostgreSQL that housed your old database.
Note: Never restore a DB .backup file that was created with PGAdmin into a new DB that was created by the HM DB Control Panel. If it was backed up with PGAdmin, it must be restored with PGAdmin

###
My conclusion is your plan may fail because 8.2 > 8.3 or 8.3 > 8.4 may not work using any backup/restore method that I know of

###
I advise using your HDD ext archive & plain/simple import HH's
Do you have notes you don't want to lose ?
Do you still have access to your "last system" or is the "last system" the same box as is now Win7 ?
I'm asking if your original HDD still has HM/postgresql 8.2 on it or is it now just a backup ?

###

fozzy71
07-31-2010, 09:08 PM
I just did a brand new install of win 7. I have the OS on SSD and data will be on 2nd (regular) HDD. I now want to install HM and postgres on the SSD. Afterwards I want to import (backup/restore) my DB in the PGadmin. I backed it up from my last system which was running postgres 8.2. I guess HMcomboinstaller will install postgres 8.4.x. Will my plan work?

Nope.

You will need to install the same version. Hopefully your DB was made with 8.2.15 or .16

If you already installed postgresql 8.4 with the combo installer:

For reinstalling SQL to the same DB, follow these steps:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) If you are moving the DB to a different drive/partition, manually cut or copy the \Postgresql\8.x\data directory to it's new location.
3) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete
4) reboot.
5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your backup file - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)
6) If you have moved/installed your DB to a non-default location, please make sure to change the 'Data Directory' path during the installation.

* Download and UnZip this file to a new folder. http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgresql-8.2.15-1.zip

6) Then run the postgresql-8.2.msi file and follow the instructions above.

Can I still use my existing password etc from postgres.? Or will everything be new and do I have to re import all hands since like 2008? (I have those in archive on ext HD).

If you are reinstalling your old \data folder from 8.2 you can and should/need to use the old password.

I would personally suggest you dont use your old DB. Use our combo installer and rebuild by importing your original/archived hands and results/summaries. Your old 8.2 database is likely large, and larger than it needs to be because the logging was enabled. It is also quite a few years old and there have been many improvements through 8.3 and 8.4.

Is there a guide or step by step thing for my situation? I dont want to run into issues from postgres and the 8.4 coding/passwords problems etc.

The steps above should you guide you well if you choose to reinstall the old database. I think a new database is the much better option, for many reasons.

Bennobal
08-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Thank you both!

I am not sure enough with what version 8.2.x my old DB (backup) was created with so it would be a bit risky. I have access to my entire hh archive and I exported notes, config (incl hud), RB + bonusses. So what I will do now, is install the new HM and Postgres 8.4.x through the combo installer and re-import all hands when I go to sleep.

If I get this right the new install will create new password etc for postgres but as I am creating a new DB it won't matter anyway, correct? This new password, how do I see it for future pgadmin use? Because in the comboinstaller video it appeared that there never is any postgres install or setting up screen.

netsrak
08-01-2010, 05:59 AM
The combo installer uses the default password postgrespass.

Bennobal
08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
OKay, one last thing;
There have been some issues with PS tourney summaries but not in new Databases. What is the correct order for importing? I assume first all the hand histories (should be in my arhive right?) and then all the tourney summaries that I will be requesting by mail?

fozzy71
08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Please wait until we release 1.11.04 before importing the summaries. We have a lot of stars summaries fixes in the next release.

If you want to send me an email, with a link to this thread, and I will upload you a copy of the current internal version to use/test with your hands and summaries.

Please email me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread.

Bennobal
08-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Fozzy, I haven't started importing yet as I am not playing untill last week of august due to exams. So I can wait with importing untill you release 1.11.04. If you still want me to do testing (I have only had 2 new files imported when setting up config folders for PS and FTP, besides that the DB is clean) you can reply and I'll send an email.