PDA

View Full Version : PostgreSQL causing BSOD?

berserk
10-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi,

I've been getting a blue screen of death (system_service_exception, stop code 3b, caused by win32k.sys) every few hours of poker playing. Long story short, I have more or less identified HM actively importing hands as the problem. I have run all sorts of diagnostics and had significant technical help from a Windows 7 forum, and I also ran my computer overnight twice (with HM running among many other programs, auto importing, but no hands being imported) without a problem. I've never had the BSOD except when actively playing poker, usually after a couple hours of play.

Additionally, I bought a new computer hoping it would fix the BSOD problem, copied over my HM database successfully, and it too had the same crash (at least the same stop code 3b and first parameter). All drivers etc are updated, and the two computers have different graphics drivers anyway. I don't believe overheating/over use of resources is a problem. The problem started suddenly after many months of having no problems.

So, though I've seen it said that HM does not cause BSODs, could my database have some sort of corruption or other problem? Could it be an interaction with my antivirus (Nod32 ESET) that only happens when importing hands?

I am going to try a fresh install and new database, but would like some input on whether it is possible, or if you have heard of any cases, where a database corruption causes BSODs when importing hands.

Thanks a lot, and if you'd like a link to the Windows 7 thread discussing the BSOD along with many diagnostic results I can provide it.

Patvs
10-22-2012, 04:57 PM
It sounds like a database corruption. Try re-installing PostgreSQL. Create a new database, and reimport your hands.

berserk
10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
It crashed again, after I uninstalled HM/PostrgreSQL and reinstalled them, making a new database and importing the last years worth of hands.

In my other tech support thread they believe it might be caused by party poker (partygaming.exe has popped up a couple times as a trouble file in the diagnostics), have you ever heard of party causing BSOD? Do you have another suggestion for fixing it if HM is the problem?

Thanks

Patvs
10-23-2012, 10:01 PM
It could be a specific hand corrupting the database.
Do you have the same issue, when you create a new database, and import the hands in reverse order:
for example, instead of importing 2010, 2011 hands first.... importing 2012 first.

Or it could be a bad cluster on the harddisk. Do you have a SSD or regular harddisk?
Did you run a full scandisk/chkdsk on the harddisk?

Patvs
10-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Please update to the latest beta - Hold'Em Manager Poker Software - Poker Tracking and Analysis Software (http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate./exe)

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe, even if the firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily.

Make sure your video card drivers and windows auto updates are fully updated. Run a manual Windows Update and install all updates, including all .net framework updates.

--

Try temporarily uninstalling NOD 32 ESET. Setting exceptions to Windows firewall, also for postgres.exe.

berserk
10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I will try those suggestions, thanks. I have a hard disk, win 7, updated drivers, and ran full check disk. I believe I just use the standard Microsoft/Windows firewall. If it crashes again while not on party then I'll just start a new db with no hands, in case there is a specific hand causing the problem. Is that something you have encountered before?

Patvs
10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
1 hand corrupting the database: I've only seen it with HM1. It's quite rare. It happens when an incomplete hand (a hand that should import as error / incompete hand) isn't detected as error/incomplete and still imports.

Though you can detect this hand, since it will always corrupt the database when it is imported. So by importing the database, month by month, and once you know the month, day by day, you can -but it's very time consuming- figure out which file is causing it.

berserk
10-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Should have mentioned that this is indeed with HM1.

Perhaps if the problem hand was a partypoker hand it would cause the error to show up as due to partygaming.exe? Still need some more hours testing it to see if it is due to party or not.

If I make a new database and just avoid the whole area around when the problem started (i dont care if a month of hands are missing really), assuming that there is a corrupt hand, this would fix it right?

Patvs
10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
HM1: update: http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate_Release_1.12.11_12Oct2012.exe

It sounds unlikely the hand would cause a partygaming.exe crash. I've never heard about anything like that before.

What you can also try: install PostgreSQL 9.0 to port 5433 and connect to that instead, reimporting your hands into a new empty PostgreSQL 9.0 database.

Or update 8.4.x to the latest 8.4.x version from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).