PDA

View Full Version : Super Slow Import Speeds

4entourage
07-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I just purchased this HDD since my database crashed:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

Is this just horrible or something? I cannot get things to import fast what so ever. Each file I am importing is 10 megs in size - and I have about 25 gigs worth. The max speeds I get is like 30-50 hands/sec.

I have/use
*Bought new HDD (Cant afford solid state as that would be way too expensive for the size I need) (Use a Cord 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ CPU)
*Installed 8 gigs of ram
*Set all priorities to high in task maager
*Newest hem/postgres
*Defrag (yet even on newest imports its going slow.. like 30-50hands/sec on a brand new empty drive with only POSTGRES and HEM installed)
*Re-index (again..even though I have JUST started importing)
*Did tons of the WIN 7 performance tips
*Turned off indexing/Set everything for best performance

Still cannot get good speeds. Is that HDD just not good? What else am I missing? Is it because they are 10 meg files and should be smaller? I am trying to import in 2 gig chunks (in 10 meg files) and not getting anywhere fast!

Patvs
07-25-2010, 09:20 AM
30-50 hands/s already is really fast considering they are 10 MB .txt files.
If the files would be a LOT smaller (<200 kb) you should see faster import speeds.

4entourage
07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Do you know of any good notepad programs to break files down small?

I have found a few but they all dont know where one hand ends and another begins so if I break them down too small (from the 1 gig ish files that I had extracted) there is tons and tons of import errors since hands are randomly cut off....

4entourage
07-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Nvm Im good I found one but still importing super slow....

4entourage
07-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Soooo my database crashed - you guys couldnt find out why. Now I am getting horrible import speeds - not getting any help.

I was just finishing a 500 meg chunk of 200kb import files--went from about 40hands/sec down to about 20---so once it was done I did a re-index and a defrag. I now went on to the next import and it was again 500megs of 200kb files --- and is going at 8.7 hands/sec -- SLOWER after the re-index and defrag. Something is going on - I need a team viewer or something because this is not working how it has for last 2 years...

Patvs
07-26-2010, 01:49 AM
pm sent