PDA

View Full Version : HEM launch/.net framework problem

Sage Lee
07-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Hello.

I am a first time user of HEM. As instructed, I downloaded and installed .net framework 3.5 before installing HEM. There were apparently no problems installing .net framework, HEM, or postgres (no error messages).

However, when I try to launch HEM, it tells me that I must install framework 3.5. I hit the framework installer a second time in case the install wasn't comleted properly, but it only asked me if I wanted to repair (restore it to the original settings) which I am assuming is unnecessary since I just downloaded and installed it a few minutes ago.

My "System Properties" looks like this:

System
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Hewlitt Packard Company
Compaq Presario
AMD Sempron Processor
3100+
1.81 GHz 896MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Incidentally, I have had trouble wtih my computer off and on over the past months and have recently restored it to it's factory settings, losing all data in the process (for about the third time in 6 months; blue screen informing me of some kind of "kernel" problem). I also have not downloaded Windows SP 3 becasue every time I do, Windows won't start (this led to my first two restores before I stopped bothering.)

Not sure if any of this is related or if my computer is just on it's deathbed, but it's all I have available to me and I'd like to test out HEM if possible with what I have.

Any obvious fixes here? I must warn you I am not especially computer literate and would appreciate simplistic terms and detailed steps so I understand what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if I need to provide any more info.

Sage Lee
07-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Hold off on this actually, I may just be retarded. I think I downloaded and instlled .net framework SP1 but not the framework itself. I'll return and update if I still have problems.

EDIT: Actually, I double checked the installer on my desktop and it appears it is, in fact, the 3.5framework installer. I am currently downloading the .net framework 4 though, so we'll see if there's a change.

Sage Lee
07-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Okay, I uninstalled and reinstalled framework, and it's working now. But now I have a new problem:

The HUD constantly shifts and bobbles around whenever something happens onscreen. Sometimes the HUD for Player A will pop across the screen to sit infront of Player F, or sometimes there'll be two or three displays for the same player, like tracers, and this obscures what I actually am trying to see. It all resets every few seconds, only to happen again every few seconds. (Pokerstars animation is off.)

We are now on break, and everything is suddenly solid and constant.
Ok, break over, and it's still happening.

Judging from my above computer info, can my system handle this program and/or is there something I should be doing to make it work better? I am stuck with the hardware I currently have, so upgrading anything is really not an option. I tried looking at the "Top 10 Ways to Optimize" sticky in this forum, and I set my processes preferences to "high", but there's no apparent change.

I'm going to continue trying to make sense of some of this stuff in this forum, but if there's a quick answer anyone has, such as "You and your dinosaur computer are screwed," or "Easy, just do this real quick!" I'd love to hear it since I'm currently playing and nothing is sitting still long enough for me to get comfortable with reading the quite alien (for me) HUD. I'm assuming basic ciomputer maintainence/defrag type stuff isn't necessary yet since I just restored my computer to factory settings a few days ago.

Thanks again, sorry for being such a noob.

_Loki_
07-24-2010, 10:13 AM
###
I've read your 3 posts
You are trying to run before you can walk

Forget about your HM problems for now. The HUD moving around is easily fixed

Your first task should be to sort out your Windows & possibly you have a hardware fault, but lets forget that too...

###
There's nothing wrong with the specification of your hardware - it will run HM
There's probably something wrong with your Windows
It is useless installing .NET this & .NET that if associated Windows update patches & SP's are not installed

Use the Windows update service & let it install your updates
It will not install all of them at once - you have to repeat the process of going back to the update service & let it tell you what you need
REBOOT between updates or the updates do not got applied & the windows update service will not find other updates you need...

you might have to go back 4 or 5 times ! But keep updating/rebooting until the service says you are up-to-date

OK ?

###
If windows update service does not let you update - what is the exact message it gives you ?
It might be asking you to install the latest java or similar
You have to do this right or you will never run HM the way it should run

###

Sage Lee
07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
###
I've read your 3 posts
You are trying to run before you can walk

Yes, sir! I sure am.

Use the Windows update service & let it install your updates
It will not install all of them at once - you have to repeat the process of going back to the update service & let it tell you what you need
REBOOT between updates or the updates do not got applied & the windows update service will not find other updates you need...

you might have to go back 4 or 5 times ! But keep updating/rebooting until the service says you are up-to-date.

Yes, I've actually had to do this a few times now. I'm preeetty sure I'm back up to date again after this most recent failure, with the exception of Windows Service Pack 3, but I will go back to the update site when I wake up and double check that, since this last time I may have been lazy about it.

If windows update service does not let you update - what is the exact message it gives you ?
It might be asking you to install the latest java or similarYou have to do this right or you will never run HM the way it should run

Ha! Java, indeed - I hope I'm not THAT much of a noob...

It's not that it won't let me update, it's just that every time I've downloaded and installed SP 3 and restarted my computer, Windows won't start and tells me it's "probably due to a recent software upgrade and I should restore to an earlier time."

The first time I installed SP 3, I had never had any problems previously, always had automatic updates on, but the above happened immediately afterwards. I restored back a day, tried installing it again, same thing. So then I restored back as far as I could, but it still wouldn't work. And this time, after it told me to restore to an earlier point, it couldn't locate any restore points, even though it had supposedly just created one before the installation! I was forced to do a "destructive recovery."

Then, since I had just restored everything to factory settings, I figured I'd give SP 3 one more chance. I updated everything, in order, went back a bajillion times and restarted the computer when instructed to, just as you said; again though, when I got to SP 3 and restarted, Windows wouldn't boot, and it again told me it was prob due to a recent software upgrade. That time I was able to restore to just before the SP 3 installation and I've basically run it from there ever since, since that pretty much pinpointed SP 3, to me, as a catalyst.

That was probably about a year ago, and I've unexpectedly had to do a destructive recovery twice since then because of the ol' blue-screen-telling-me-about-some-kind-of-kernel-problem-and-inexplicably-not-finding-any-restore-points. Each time after recovery I've used the "custom update" setting to de-select SP 3 and just update everything else.

Anyway, sorry, I know you're not really here for Windows support, but I didn't want you to think I'm so dumb as to not know to reboot between updates, especially when said update tells me to do so. I've pretty much just accepted the fact that there's something fundamentally and irrevocably corrupted here, because shouldn't all the updates install and stack up fine after I've reset everything back to factory state?

I think I just need a new computer (there are one or two other strange things I could tell you about, but this is long enough). If I could afford one I would've bought one by now, but I can't. Which is why I'm testing out HEM to try and step up my poker volume for my new staker.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help and hopefully I'll be able to get some good use out of HEM over the trial period to decide if it's something I want to keep.

By the way, before I realized you had responded here, I took the liberty of downloading someone else's HUD setup from the "Share Your Config" forum, and once I imported it, suddenly HEM was working great. I had no problems throughout the tournament I played. After I wake up I'll create and test a new config of my own though, and try several tourneys at once, just to see what happens.

And I apologize; brevity is not my stong suit, and for that matter, neither is walking before running. I mean, who walks these days!? My grandparents, that's who.

I would edit this, but I honestly don't know what's not relevant. If it's any consolation, it might take you a minute or so to read this but it just took me, like, more than two hours to write and proofread this. Seriously, it's a disease.

_Loki_
07-24-2010, 01:34 PM
:)

Let me know If I can help

If you get that kernal message again make a note of what it says

Sage Lee
07-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Will do, thanks Loki. (I seem to recall a big string of numbers referencing the exact location of the kernel, but it was all chicken scratch to me - I'll write it down next time.)

_Loki_
07-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Will do, thanks Loki. (I seem to recall a big string of numbers referencing the exact location of the kernel, but it was all chicken scratch to me - I'll write it down next time.)
Writers block ? :D