PDA

View Full Version : Postgresql - the server does not accept connections

luckylucky
07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
After wiping my XP laptop (Yet again :() I reinstalled HM and PostgreSQL. I attempted to keep the old database which I had on D drive i.e. seperate drive from OP system. On installing PostgreSQL I pointed it to the old database and it appeared to install without a hitch. However now when I try to log on to PostgresSQL direct via PGAdmin I get the following error
"The server does not accept connections: ....."

When I tried to connect via HM I get 'Failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1"

luckylucky
07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
further info - i have already tried deleting postmaster.pid and rebooting.
I tried with my firewall disabled.

I have just now noticed that PostgresSql service was not started. I tried to manually start it via Services and it wouldn't start. Got error message saying PostgresSQL 8.4 service started and then stopped on local computer.

netsrak
07-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Seems like your new postgresql installation can't work with the old data folder.

Did you install the same postgresql version as before?
Please try to reinstall postgresql with creating a new data folder - does this work?

luckylucky
08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Seems like your new postgresql installation can't work with the old data folder.

Did you install the same postgresql version as before?
Please try to reinstall postgresql with creating a new data folder - does this work?

Yes, defo installed same version of postgresql as before. Anyway I installed in a new folder and it works ok now, so yeah seems like it can't work with the old data folder - is there no way to get this to work then?
Thanks,
LL.

netsrak
08-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Thats beyond my postgresql knowledge. I have searched for postgresql repair options but without success. If you want to go deeper into this please look at PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).

But the easier solution would be to reimport all your hands. You should find them in the HM archive folder (default c:\hmarchive)