PDA

View Full Version : Postgres Installation Problems

DTigersD
10-05-2012, 02:34 AM
I have searched many threads and videos and cannot get postgres installation past "an error occurred executing the microsoft vc++ runtime installer". This error happens with 8.x.

With 9.x I get "Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path."

I have turned off User Account Controls, turned off the firewall, and uninstalled anti-virus software, which was Avast and Spybot.

I have tried the command prompt and it tells me that it "is not recognized as an internal or external command..."

I have done random things like turn UAC on, then back off and nearly anything else I could find on a thread. I can't get rid of this error and install postgres, and thus HEM.

udbrky
10-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Empty your temp folder - most likely in your user\appdata\local folder or c:\temp

Please see this to uninstall visual c++

How to Remove Microsoft Visual C Runtime Library | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_6573753_remove-microsoft-visual-runtime-library.html)

and then reinstall it:

Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555)

DTigersD
10-05-2012, 05:29 AM
I manually deleted everything out of the temp folder except for a blank text document called "ehmsas.txt" because it told me it was open in another program, although I am not sure which one it would be.

Uninstalled 3 versions of Microsoft Visual C++ and reinstalled the latest version.

Ran the Holdem Manager Install and still got "an error occurred executing the microsoft vc++ runtime installer".

Patvs
10-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I think Spybot might have corrupted your hosts file.
Read: http://holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8182 and restore your hosts file to what it should look like (deleting the lines Spybot has written to the file in the past) and reboot.

Then try installing SQL 8.2: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.2.22/win32/postgresql-8.2.22-1.zip

DTigersD
10-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I went to the "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc" and opened the "hosts" file in notepad and this is what it showed:

127.0.0.1 localhost

This was all that was in this file and it showed it was updated yesterday. This didn't look like what the solution link said it would, so I didn't mess with it for now.

The link to 8.2 seems to have worked, but it gave me a password with characters/symbols that I cannot type on my keyboard and accidentally closed before I could attempt to write it down. It also is supposedly not for my OS, which I apologize for not saying earlier that it is Vista 32-bit.

But for right now it seems that 8.2, which was not available on postgres.org main download page, has successfully installed and will now try to install HEM.

DTigersD
10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
While installing HEM, it did not seem to recognize that PostgrSQL was installed already and tried to add it to the setup. I unchecked the postgres installation box and installed HEM. When I tried to launch HEM, I got an error stating "The following error occurred when trying to open the database: FATAL 3D000: database "holdemmanager" does not exist".

I manually added "holdemmanager" to the list of databases and will update whether or not eveything functions properly after I play some hands.

I appreciate and thank you for the help in that getting HEM to work, at least up to this point so far, is the most important thing, but I still have some concerns about why the normal process would not work on my system and also how much of a difference will be made in having an outdated version of postgres, that was not an original option neither on the website, nor in the HEM installation.

Sarek
10-06-2012, 04:36 AM
1) If you already had Postgres 9 installed - HM setup does not recognizes it's existance. This is known thing.
We do not recommend using Postgres 9.2 because
a) HM was not tested under it, and at least functions like backup\restore, tuning etc will not work from inside HM
and b) you will not see difference in performance, all promised in 9.2 by their developers can be accieved only on very and very powerfull computers\servers
2) Message "Database does not exists" simply means you should create it. Name do not matters.