PDA

View Full Version : Hands not appearing after vacuum

harmonica
07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi

I have the latest update 1.11.03 Internal and last night a friend said it might be a good idea to vacuum my database, because I dont think I have ever done it before, so used this guide

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Vacuum Analyze Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/88/Vacuum+Analyze+Database+)

I got to point 6. and noticed that I had to tick 'Full' and 'Analyze' so I did this

I then opened HEM up for the first time this morning after doing the above, I went to Reports to look at some hands and they were still there, I then played a session of Rush and then went into Reports to look at some hands, but all I saw was my stats running across the top, so hit refresh to get the hands and tick the 'all' box but nothing happens apart from the little vista thing spinning around. I shut down my computer and restarted and I am still having the same problem.

But I have just typed all this out and just noticed now the hands have appeared for this session, but when i ticked the 'all' box again they have disappeared.

Thanks

fozzy71
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
It sounds like something may have become corrupt/damaged during your vacuum. Was this the first time you had ever done any DB maintenance? I have found that people that do regular maintenance (once a month or more) rarely have corrupt DB issues. Most of the people with corrupt DB's (similar issues as this) have never done db maintenance.

This won't likely help anything: Filter > Clear and then Filter > Use for all. Also try enabling the Options > Settings... > Miscellaneous > [x] Auto apply filter changes to all tabs

*Try creating a new UTF DB - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Create / Delete Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database)
*Now import a small portion of your \HMArchive so you can see if the problem exists in the new DB - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How to Import & Export Hands (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/98/How+to+Import+%26+Export+Hands)
*If the new DB seems to work properly, you will want to import the rest of your archives to the new DB, export/import the hands from the old DB to the new DB, and export/import any player notes and tourney summaries - and then delete the old DB.
*Make sure you export/backup everything before deleting the old DB - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstalling on a new PC - Backup Tips (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips)

My suggested steps for regular maintenance:

1 - Close HM and Open PGAdmin

2 - connect to postgresql server and then to the DB. Password is postgrespass in case you ever need it.

3 - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

4 - Vacuum, Analyze > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Do that ever 10 -30k hands.

Every 50 - 100k hands, after finishing the steps above:

A - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

B - Reindex > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Next we need to Stop the PostgreSQL service so the Defragmenter can Defrag the Database.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Stop Server

Open Smart Defrag > Select both drive letter checkboxes > Analyze

Pick suggested Defrag process > Start Defrag

After Smart Defrag finishes you should restart your computer.

If you need to use HM before you restart your PC, then you need to Start Server.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Start Server

harmonica
07-19-2010, 02:27 PM

harmonica
07-20-2010, 11:42 AM
It sounds like something may have become corrupt/damaged during your vacuum. Was this the first time you had ever done any DB maintenance? I have found that people that do regular maintenance (once a month or more) rarely have corrupt DB issues. Most of the people with corrupt DB's (similar issues as this) have never done db maintenance.

This won't likely help anything: Filter > Clear and then Filter > Use for all. Also try enabling the Options > Settings... > Miscellaneous > [x] Auto apply filter changes to all tabs

*Try creating a new UTF DB - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Create / Delete Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database)
*Now import a small portion of your \HMArchive so you can see if the problem exists in the new DB - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How to Import & Export Hands (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/98/How+to+Import+%26+Export+Hands)
*If the new DB seems to work properly, you will want to import the rest of your archives to the new DB, export/import the hands from the old DB to the new DB, and export/import any player notes and tourney summaries - and then delete the old DB.

I set up the new db and imported yesterdays session and all appeared well, so I then exported all my hands from the old db and then left it importing from the temp folder I sent the exported hands to, it finished a few hours ago.

I went in to reports and looked at my 1k hands from yesterday and everything appeared as quickly as it did before the vacuuming, I then filtered for all my FT hands about 260kish and it seems that if you have a small sample at a certain limit then you are ok it finds the hands just as quick as before, but if you want to look at a level where you have decent sample 50k+ish it has started to lag really badly.

I just did this and it froze my comp and I got this pop up in HEM please see attachment. I have never had that happen before. Do you have any ideas how I can get my db back to how it use to be before I did this vacuuming?.

Thanks

harmonica
07-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Also I have just played a quick session to see if my HUD is still working ok after creating this new db, and it popped up, but there is a big problem, it looks like it has reset something because regs would pop up on my rush tables that I know I have 1000's of hands on, and I initially didn't get any stats but I just presumed that was down to the ongoing problem with the HUD were it doesn't always display an stats. But then after awhile I noticed that one of those regs who I had 1000's of hands on, his hand count on the HUD was 2 hands the 2 that we had just played, could you tell me how to get my HUD to display those 1000's hands I have on him?.

Thanks

Edit: I think I know now why this is, I just noticed the Rush hands on importing to the new db have been made into normal hands, why is that?. So I had to go into hud options> additional hud filters and then tick the box that says 'mix ftp rush and non rush stats'. Now they are displaying all the hands I have on regs. Oh I have an idea, I could get FT to send me all the HH's for rush, then I could just purge them couldn't I so then they would just show up like before as rush hands?.

_Loki_
07-20-2010, 09:13 PM
###
Where ? They have been made into 'normal' (non-rush) hands in the 'C:\HMArchive' ? I don't know why that is...

My instinct would be to get all your HH's from FTP & import into (yet another !) new DB instead
If all goes well you can delete the other DB's when you're confident about the new DB

The reason I suggest this is because you'll get a 'tighter' DB than with a purge & import

###
NOTES:
1] The fozzy advice regarding DB maintenance (bottom of post#2) is very important. If you make a routine of that you'll never have these DB troubles
2] Vista is a bag of nails - Why not move to win7 ?
(I've stayed on xp & it's great for my 4yr old machine. I will not touch Vista)

###

sergiod
07-21-2010, 03:03 AM
ok i have never vaccume HEM, so i went to the link posted http://http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/88/Vacuum+Analyze+Database+ and i can't find PostgreSQL 8.x, i try to look at it in search but couldn't find it neither. what can i do now?? if i remember correct, i had to install PostgreSQL separately from HEM cuz installing it together didn't work.

_Loki_
07-21-2010, 03:25 AM
###
Hi sergiod - Windows search will not find anything for 'PostgreSQL 8.x' because '8.x' does not exist. You will have 8.2, 8.3 or 8.4 installed.

Maybe you can see an Elephant icon somewhere in your Start Menu tree ?

or...

The vacuum/analyse is done in pgAdmin III so just search for files or folders named 'pgAdmin' & click on any shortcuts that appear in the search results

or...

What you are looking for is pgAdmin3.exe. In my XP machine it is here:
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pgAdmin3.exe"

Just click on it

###

sergiod
07-21-2010, 03:47 AM
no man, i can't find nothing like that, nor can find the elephant icon. it says that i have postgres8.3.9
I've been searching for what pgadmin but there isn't any....
:confused:

_Loki_
07-21-2010, 04:05 AM
###
I don't know - maybe it's because you have that part of your tree hidden ?

In search you should click on 'advanced options' & check the box 'search hidden files & folders' & search again

or...

You can unhide them like this:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How to See Hidden Files in Windows (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/130/How+to+See+Hidden+Files+in+Windows+)

###
Also perhaps it's on a different drive (or partition) you can select a different drive (or partition) in the 'Look in' search field

###
If that doesn't help - I'm out of ideas

###

harmonica
07-21-2010, 05:55 AM
###
Where ? They have been made into 'normal' (non-rush) hands in the 'C:\HMArchive' ? I don't know why that is...

My instinct would be to get all your HH's from FTP & import into (yet another !) new DB instead
If all goes well you can delete the other DB's when you're confident about the new DB

The reason I suggest this is because you'll get a 'tighter' DB than with a purge & import

###
NOTES:
1] The fozzy advice regarding DB maintenance (bottom of post#2) is very important. If you make a routine of that you'll never have these DB troubles
2] Vista is a bag of nails - Why not move to win7 ?
(I've stayed on xp & it's great for my 4yr old machine. I will not touch Vista)

###

Hi Loki

Yeh I thought this was weird to. All I did was go into db management>connect> then I highlighted my old db that was set to default then export all hands into a temp folder I made on my desktop, then after I had exported all these hands I then created the new db set it to default, then began importing from folder which took a long time lol. I then opened up the new db and looked at my hands for this month, I have only played Rush this month and they have changed from 0.25/0.50 NL Rush to 0.25/0.50 NL in the game type description.

I only have about 90k hands of Rush total, do you still stand by the advice you gave me earlier?. Also just incase I didn't make this clear before the only hands that was affected by this change was the ones that I had to export from the old db then import into the new db. The few hands that I played last night whilst messing about with the hud, were imported as rush hands.

_Loki_
07-21-2010, 06:49 AM
I thought you were going to request HH's from FTP & import those into the new DB ?
I would suppose that would solve it

harmonica
07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
I thought you were going to request HH's from FTP & import those into the new DB ?
I would suppose that would solve it

Yeh I have requested all my rush hands, and the plan was to then purge them from the new db and then import these 90k's worth of rush hands. Should I still do what you advised earlier on?.

_Loki_
07-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Yes. I think a clean new DB & import the HH's into it is better if that's what you're asking me

harmonica
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Yes. I think a clean new DB & import the HH's into it is better if that's what you're asking me

Ok mate ty and Fozzy for your advice.

harmonica
07-22-2010, 08:26 AM
I have encountered another problem, I did everything Loki told me to do. I imported the Rush HH's FT sent me into the new db, but everything o nthe face of it was perfect my stats showed up the hands in the lower half did, but then the big snag, I clicked on one of the hands but all I got was an empty table, so I then right clicked on one of the hands so I could view it in the notepad and all I got was a blank notepad, do you have any idea why its doing this?. Also dont know whether this is important info, but those Rush hands that changed are still sat in my other db, I haven't purged them.

netsrak
07-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Please post a screenshot.

Are you using 1.11.03 - it is required since the FTP update yesterday.

harmonica
07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Please post a screenshot.

Are you using 1.11.03 - it is required since the FTP update yesterday.

Yeh I got the lastest patch. Unfortunately I cant post a screenshot, because I deleted the database.