PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating new user experience, installing HEM

rolledup
07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I am installing HEM to try it out, hopefully to replace PT3. The experience has been pretty awful so far, and I haven't even used it yet.

Upon initial install, I clicked to start it up and got an error message that I needed to install .NET first. Fine. I don't install anything on my poker machine that isn't necessary for poker for security reasons, so I don't already have it installed.

I google ".net", long download, then install .NET 4. Start again. "Error: Holdem Manager requires .NET 2.0.57207". Grrr, why didn't it tell me that before that it needed a specific version? I waste another 20 minutes getting that version installed, after looking around for it for a while. Finally it's installed. I start HEM: "Error: All new versions of HEM require .NET version 3.5."

I give up. Why doesn't it tell me the right version to install in the first place?? This is extremely frustrating.

_Loki_
07-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi rolledup

What is your OS ? 32 or 64 bit ?

####
Switch your windows automatic updates back on & visit the windows update site now

Let it update everything. You seem to be way behind. You will have to update & reboot & update & reboot until windows tells you that you're up-to-date

This is because some updates require that earlier updates are already installed - the windows site will prompt you what to do

###
If you try to install a recent version of .NET without first installing an earlier .NET your system can't make the 'leap'. You say that you "don't install anything on my poker machine that isn't necessary for poker for security reasons, so I don't already have it installed" is the wrong approach...

.NET is part of windows updates which is essential for the security of your machine & windows updates would have prompted you regarding .NET if you had been updating windows

###