PDA

View Full Version : Connection Error

Sacrifice51
10-19-2008, 06:16 AM
Hello,
I got this one here: My Login Profile in XP was dead, during the trial period of Hold Em Manager, now after a couple mails to the Support I finally managed to complete the registration, but then after it I can not start Hold Em Manager, when I try to connect to the Database.

I dont know exactly, but the error occured after I copied some config files from the old installation into the new folder...
Can you help me please ?

Rvg72
10-19-2008, 07:53 PM
can you try doing a full vacuum of your database and let me know if any errors appear.

1) Open pgadmin from your start menu in windows under postgresql
2) Double click on the server name and enter your postgresql password (default is postgrespass)
3) Click on Databases and select the current database
4) Right click and go to Maintenance and then Vacuum and select Full and Analyze

Sacrifice51
10-20-2008, 08:58 AM
can you try doing a full vacuum of your database and let me know if any errors appear.

1) Open pgadmin from your start menu in windows under postgresql
2) Double click on the server name and enter your postgresql password (default is postgrespass)
3) Click on Databases and select the current database
4) Right click and go to Maintenance and then Vacuum and select Full and Analyze

DONE! I GOT THIS ONE in PGADMIN: Btw I did the Vacuum and Analyze Function priot to your reply...still Hold Em Manager can not get a connection to the database, but when I prompt in a wrong password, it appears a window, that the password/username is invaldid...

Sacrifice51
10-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Where are the informations about the relation 1663/11511/2614 saved on my computer? In the windows registry or in some hidden HEm config files. The Connectionstring in HoldemManager.config is empty and i don't get where the relation information comes from.

Rvg72
10-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi, unfortunately it looks like the database in postgres has become corrupt. The 2 most common causes of this problems are 1) powering off your computer or having your computer lose power while the database is doing something and 2) an old drive with bad sectors on it. Basically what happens is a small portion of a file gets slightly corrupt and then when you reboot and windows goes into that checkdsk procedure it finds the bad section and, thinking it is doing a good thing, removes it. Postgres then loads the table and a portion of it is gone so it doesn’t like that and blocks access to the entire table. Normally when this happens it is on a completely useless file that you'll never even notice is now gone and quite often it will happen to an index in the DB which can easily be rebuilt but in your case it happened to one of the system tables.

So, to protect against this

1) keep you hands histories in case you do need to reimport
2) use a power bar and avoid hard shutdowns (when you flick the power switch on the pc)
3) if your drive is old consider replacing it with a new one. They are cheap and much faster now than even a few years ago.

I think you are going to need to uninstall and reinstall postgresql and then create a new database. You could try just creating a database in DBControlPanel and that may work.

Roy

Sacrifice51
10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Hello,
I Back Up'ed my total Handhistories from the past months.

I totally installed postgres new and made a new database with Holdem Manager.
That solved my problem.

Please close this thread.

Thanks Roy:)