PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Database Using backup and restore Made a different database disappear!

onlymymissiscallsmedonkey
07-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Hello

Been backing up and restoring databases usinf backup and restore within HEM to ensure that I understand the process before I have a problem and found the following:

Problem 1: When I restored a database with “create a new database” definitely checked my original database disappeared/was overwritten.

I repeated the process of restoring a database a couple of times checking for certain that I wasn't pressing the overwrite database option and sometimes a database disappeared and sometimes it didn't. I Gave the restored databases new unique names.

Thankfully everything was backed up before I started doing this so I lost nothing but this could be devastating to someone who didnt.

I'm running windows 7 and have the latest version of HEM installed (1.11.02b at this time)

During this process my SSD used space grew a lot and I located the culprit was HEM unzipping the backups to my C:\Users\”myusername”\AppData\Local\Temp folder. I assume these files are fine to delete manually but confirmation would be nice.

If this is common I'd warn people somehow because people having disappearing/accidentally overwritten databases could get messy. I repeat that I checked create new database for sure!

morny
07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
We done a ton of testing and this is the 1st report of this as obviously someone is going to report it if their database is overwritten and hands lost, how many databases did you have before you done this, how often could you replicate this and what version of HM did you use?

onlymymissiscallsmedonkey
07-12-2010, 07:42 AM
I guess there's always one, and it would have to be me.

I have the latest version of HEM, Postgres 8.4, and Windows 7.

On this PC I had only 1 database that I fully backed up so I didn't lose anything but my first restore of that database overwrote or deleted the database the restore was a direct copy of. I thought 'oh maybe I pressed something that changed the dial button to overwite by accident' before I pressed restore so started restoring again making sure that I'd checked I'd pressed the create new database dial after it grayed out.

By the way - in the restored databases the details were exactly as they should be.

It seemed kind of random, I think it worked properly about four times and overwrote/deleted databases once/twice after that, giving the databases unique names compared to the databases list though sometimes recycling names and re-using the name of a deleted database. I really wasn't sure what the difference between those times was. I was restoring backups of the same 1 database at different points in exestence. Having got my database situation to where I wanted it to be in the end I am not keen on trying to replicate the problem again, as I've spent quite a bit of time on this already, but If I do this again and have problems I'll really try much harder to work out exactly why with you.

I agree of course that if I wasn't the only one you'd know about it, so I really don't know what happened or if I was doing something wrong. Main lesson to anyone reading is to back everything up always before you mess with anything (not just meaning HEM). Thankfully I learned that lesson a long time ago the hard way. Thanks for the reply, as I'm the only one and no harm was done except a bit of wasted time that may have been my fault, and as I havent got the time to try and replicate it right now I'm happy to consider the matter closed.

Thanks for the reply, and the speed of it, it is okay to delete those files in my C:\Users\”myusername”\AppData\Local\Temp folder that HEM created whilst restoring my databases right?

morny
07-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi,

Yeah you can dump those files, ill try and reproduce this and if i can well obviously get it fixed asap as it would be a pretty big bug