PDA

View Full Version : Help with working out a Backup Routine requested

onlymymissiscallsmedonkey
07-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Am in the process of going all Ninja on my backups and have a few questions I’d be grateful of help with please.

I created a new empty database to import some hands to and discovered that some of my settings remained in the client. For example my buddy list in Table Scanner which is important to me and my Stat selections in the report tab. This suggests to me that backing up my database through HEM or PGAdmin does not back up these things (because wouldn’t they be reset to default when a new database is created). If I am wrong please correct me.

So Question 1: What does backing up my database through the backup and restore option NOT backup that I might have changed?

Question 2: For the the things it doesn’t backup how do I back these up? From the old backup and restore in the FAQ’s I’m assuming the files I need will be in C:ProgramFiles/RVGSoftware/HoldemManager, but I’m unsure which of the files I need to back up regularly and then replace on a reinstall as I saw Config/Reports/Filters/Fishfinder/SitNGoWizard are backed up through the new backup and restore feature. If this wont work is there stuff I have to export from HEM in addition to creating backups?

My intention is to create a backup plan where I can restore everything to exactly how it was as quickly as possible, and where there is little chance of losing anything. It looks something like this:

Monthly backup to External HDD of Database via HEM, HMArchive and any folders in C: .... HoldemManager or exported files I will need.

Daily/Continuous Online Backup of HMArchive and the folders in C: .... HoldemManager that are relevant and of my monthly Database backups.

Then if anything goes wrong reinstall HEM, restore database, import from HMArchive the hands since the last restore of my database and overwrite the folders or files within C: ... HoldemManager that I need to to restore things to exactly as they were.

Question 3: Does anyone foresee any problems with this backup scheme or do things a better way?

If you read this much with the intention of helping a stranger you’re a legend, a good reply earns a free upgrade to God status.

Thanks in advance for any replies

netsrak
07-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Q1+Q2: all your settings for HM are saved in the config subfolder. If you have customized reports or filters you should save this subfolders too. For tablescanner its the fishfinder subfolder. To be on the safe side you should really backup the complete holdemmanager installation folder.

Q3: this sounds like a good backup strategy. I'm using nearly the same :)

onlymymissiscallsmedonkey
07-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Thank you, you are duly upgraded to God status, use you new powers wisely.

Acronis True image 2010 and painful hours of tedious research on online backup companies here I come.