PDA

View Full Version : All in EV problem?

Biju
07-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Can someone explain why the below hand KK v QQ ai pre flop shows up as $19.88 -EV$ Diff in my stats. I either don't understand this stat or have something set wrong. Also on my graph my winnings fly avove my ai EV at this point when I am a big favourite so surely the opposite should happen. If I was QQ in this situation and sucked out I would expect the aiEV to be higher than actual winnings.

***** Hand History for Game 1954378690 ***** (Bodog)
$50.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Thursday, July 01, 02:41:01 ET 2010
Table Azeri (max 6) (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Seat 1: F U money ( $35.00 USD )
Seat 2: lumpy10 ( $31.50 USD )
Seat 3: FASTMONEY121 ( $156.36 USD )
Seat 4: MarCar ( $53.90 USD )
Seat 5: Keeleys tits ( $72.00 USD )
Seat 6: Bnutz413 ( $75.95 USD )
FASTMONEY121 posts small blind [$0.25 USD].
MarCar posts big blind [$0.50 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to MarCar [ Kd Kh ]
Keeleys tits raises [$1.75 USD]
Bnutz413 calls [$1.75 USD]
F U money folds
lumpy10 calls [$1.75 USD]
FASTMONEY121 calls [$1.50 USD]
MarCar raises [$9.50 USD]
Keeleys tits raises [$70.25 USD]
Bnutz413 folds
lumpy10 folds
FASTMONEY121 folds
MarCar calls [$43.90 USD]
Keeleys tits wins $18.10 USD
MarCar shows [Kd, Kh ]
Keeleys tits shows [Qs, Qc ]
** Dealing Flop ** [ Tc, 5c, 3d ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6s ]
** Dealing River ** [ Jc ]
MarCar shows [Kd, Kh ]
Keeleys tits shows [Qs, Qc ]
MarCar wins $110.05 USD from main pot

netsrak
07-05-2010, 02:32 PM
EV diff is not the same as all-in ev, its the difference between the pot and your EV.

Please see this FAQ: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: EV Explained (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/120/EV+Explained)

Biju
07-05-2010, 02:46 PM
"All-In EV Line in Graph (Also $ EV Adjusted stat in the Reports tab)

This is calculated by taking your equity% of the total pot when you go all in and comparing that to what you actually won. So let's say I go all in with AA on an Axx flush draw flop against a flush draw. I'm 80.5% to win with my set in a $400 pot.

80.5% x $400 = $322 so what it's saying is on average that I should win approximately $322 on average when I go all in with a set of Aces here vs. his flush draw.

If I win, I would win $400, so I've won $78 more than I would on average i.e running good/okay.

If I lose, I win $0, so I'm running $322 worse off than I would on average so im running bad.

EV $ Diff is displayed as minus when you win more than you should and a + sign when you lose more than you would with average luck. So in the examples above, when I lost with AA as a big favorite, my EV $ Diff would be displayed as +$322.
This is calculated by taking the actual amount won and either deducting or adding the amount you would have won with average luck."

OK. So from my example with KdKh v QsQc on a 10c5c6d3sJc board I have a -EV Differential. I guess it's my EV in the pot is 80% and as I won 100% of pot, the difference $ wise is the 20%. If so what good/use is this stat? You want it to be a negative number so you're getting it in good.

Biju
07-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Before the above hand started my Winnings were running $19 above my All in EV. So I am $19 above EV when all in - correct?

At the end of the hand my Winnings are $39 above my All in EV. This seems to me that as the gap is now larger I got lucky. I didn't. It takes the opponents 20% EV extra that I won and adds it on to the difference so how is this ever an accurate stat.

When I'm a huge 4:1 favourite and win my allin EV still gets worse comparatively to my winnings. What am I missing or am I putting too much to the All in EV?

morny
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Its not something you look at over 1 hand really, you won more than you would have with average luck, with average luck you would have won $80, you won $100 so youve won $20 more than you will if you replayed the hand an infinite number of times. So your running hot. Well kind of:)

The reason we use minus is because the stat works off your winning line, so when you win more than you should your EV line drops as expected because the EV line shows what you would have won with average luck, since you would have only won $80 with average luck and your actual winnings are $100 then your winnings line is going to be higher than your EV line because your running good.