PDA

View Full Version : 6'core CPU

kasper
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
hi. just want to here if the program supports 6core CPU (AMD Phenom II X6)

or when can i expect it will?

best regards
kasper

morny
07-05-2010, 08:14 PM
No but there is plans to support multi core machines to improve performance and import speeds in the future but i dont have any specific ETA at the moment

kasper
07-06-2010, 08:21 AM
okay.. am looking forward to the day ;)

Striver
07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Can it be soon please? it takes me 12 hours to import a million hands!

kasper
07-09-2010, 03:43 AM
Can it be soon please? it takes me 12 hours to import a million hands!

hmm sound alot.. what setup is you're computer?

_Loki_
07-09-2010, 07:52 AM
###
** It would be nice if there was a 'tweaking tool' in HM to bring up different postgreSQL 'optimisations' depending on the task & the type of poker player user. The ideal settings in postgreSQL for a mass import of data is very different to what's needed to play poker

** I suspect that postgreSQL (even when tweaked according to the performance tips in this forum) is a long way from optimal for access by one user on a dedicated poker PC :)

###
I'm still learning about database stuff so this here is just my opinion from reading around the subject & I am happy to be corrected...

PgSQL comes tuned to run on a shared server so by default it has low performance settings

Also... DB bottlenecks aren't usually to do with CPU. I would say that you should spend $'s on more RAM & better disks and don't worry about the CPU so much

###
This is worth a read:
Tuning PostgreSQL on your Dedicated Server - Web and dedicated hosting tutorials by Anchor (http://www.anchor.com.au/hosting/dedicated/Tuning_PostgreSQL_on_your_Dedicated_Server)

Here is an extract from it, but it contains a lot of other good stuff too to think about:
All of these settings are great for a general-purpose query load, and should be used for most general-purpose operations. However, there is one situation in which a radically different tuning can do wonders for your database -- when you're importing your monster database for the first time.

The trouble with your standard tune is similar to that of the PostgreSQL defaults -- it's great for what it's intended for (servicing a lot of simultaneous users running general-purpose data retrieval queries and some writes), but is sub-optimal when faced with a different reality. An import is just a gigantic pile of data writing, with no reads, more maintenance queries, and only one user, so adjusting things to handle that particular case can make a dramatic difference to the speed of your import.

Note that these are not suitable settings for day-to-date database operation; in fact, running your database like this normally will almost certainly result in data loss, pestilence, dogs laying with cats, and that sort of thing. Keep a note of the values you previously set, so you can go back to them after your import is done...

One final note on imports -- run a <tt class="backtick">VACUUM ANALYZE</tt> over your database after your import is finished, to update the internal statistics. If you don't do this, then the query planner won't know when it's better to use indexes, and your queries are guaranteed to run dog-slow. Been there, done that, wasted lots of time optimizing queries that didn't need to be optimized###

kasper
07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
###
** It would be nice if there was a 'tweaking tool' in HM to bring up different postgreSQL 'optimisations' depending on the task & the type of poker player user. The ideal settings in postgreSQL for a mass import of data is very different to what's needed to play poker

** I suspect that postgreSQL (even when tweaked according to the performance tips in this forum) is a long way from optimal for access by one user on a dedicated poker PC :)

###
I'm still learning about database stuff so this here is just my opinion from reading around the subject & I am happy to be corrected...

PgSQL comes tuned to run on a shared server so by default it has low performance settings

Also... DB bottlenecks aren't usually to do with CPU. I would say that you should spend $'s on more RAM & better disks and don't worry about the CPU so much

###
This is worth a read:
Tuning PostgreSQL on your Dedicated Server - Web and dedicated hosting tutorials by Anchor (http://www.anchor.com.au/hosting/dedicated/Tuning_PostgreSQL_on_your_Dedicated_Server)

Here is an extract from it, but it contains a lot of other good stuff too to think about: ###

yes i think you're right about that. the most importen thing is to have a fast disk, such as SSD disk, or you can run with Raid0 (always remember to take backup, if you run with Raid0. Do not have anything you are scared of losing on the 2 disk)