PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 1 database and two comps

Cenotaph
07-03-2010, 01:56 AM
I have the latest version of HEM on both my laptop and desktop. My laptop is where my database is and I have always used it to play on my desktop. HEM seems to be opening without much trouble on my laptop but it won't open my desktop tonight. I keep getting "Failed to establish a connection to 192.168.1.100." The only thing I can think of is that a couple nights back I was having router issues and reset it. Then I was asked to put a new password on my laptop etc. Is that why it's fking up? Is my desktop not recognizing my laptop or something? I'm really no computer genius to say the least but would love some help, thanks.

Also, my database control panels for my desktop and laptop have different server names and passwords, is that ok?

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Hi Cenotaph (rather deathly name :) )

Who set this up for you ? Can't you get him/her to fix you up ? I'm not at all network savvy either, but these 2 FAQ's are the closest FAQ's to your problem:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Run PostgreSQL Over a Network (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/90/Run+PostgreSQL+Over+a+Network+)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How do I setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers? (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/336/How+do+I+setup+Holdem+Manager+to+share+one+databas e+between+two+computers%3F)

I suppose (like you say) the desktop copy of HM isn't 'talking' to postgreSQL on the laptop & this is due to the router - possibly an IP address thing
The top FAQ may be useful there

BTW This is the USA's 233rd Birthday weekend - so maybe the forums will be quiet until next week...

Cenotaph
07-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks Loki. Unfortunately the advice the FAQ's offers is greek to me and states to only attempt if your network skills are advanced. I have the overall computer skills of a comatose pigeon. My friend who set it all up for me is away in Italy for two more weeks so it looks like I'm likely stuck playing on my laptop, sigh. Is it an easy task to remove my database from my laptop and put it onto my desktop? I have an external hard drive.

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi 'Empty Tomb' :)

Comatose pigeon ? Love it...

First. Answer this question:
For your desktop PC to play poker without the laptop... do you have postgreSQL installed ? It's here on my PC for example:
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4"

[PostgreSQL is the database program HM uses to store/query/analyse your hand histories & if you haven't got it on your desktop PC you'll have to download it (or it & HM as a 'combo') ]

Cenotaph
07-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Not many people know what a cenotaph is Loki, you're a sharp cookie. I haven't played poker on my desktop without my laptop and HEM running before. I just downloaded postgreSQL on my desktop as I don't think it was on here. Will that make it work or will I have to go with my original plan of stomping my desktop to death a la Joe Pesci in Goodfellas?

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Don't do anything more until after i see your next post & I've replied to that one. If you already had postgreSQL on your desktop we might have troubles
Did you look for postgreSQL on your deskPC to see if it's there already ?

What's your OS ? xp? vista ? win7 ?

What version postgreSQL did you download ? Where from ? You haven't installed it yet I hope ? You DL'd just pg or the combo with HM ?

HM on your deskPC is set to 'talk' to postgreSQL on your laptopPC over the network. We have to get deskPC HM 'talking' to the new deskPC postgreSQL.

I need to know where you're at before we progress

Cenotaph
07-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I got the link for postgreSQL here on the forums: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/32983-postgresql-failed-install.html

I checked my desktop and didn't see it installed on it so I went forward and did that. I'm using win7 on desktop.

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 09:59 PM
the one-click installer for windows 8.4.4.1 ? I'm not sure what you mean from your link

I'm going to look at how to set up the correct port in the firewall as I can't remember it's a long time since I've done this.
Also I imagine some of your settings are non-standard in HM to talk across the network that was set up. I'm not keen to suggest you install the postgeSQL you DL'd. You beat me to the punch because I was going to suggest the combo installer which is fairly automatic, but it requires that you uninstall the HM you've got for simplicity

If I were you I'd wait until tomorrow & Morny/Netsrak will probably post a better/simpler plan of action inbetween times

Cenotaph
07-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I downloaded the first link in the link I provided. The rvgsoftware.fireburst one. Was that a bad idea? I guess I jumped the gun. I didn't see the postgreSQL in my program files like you stated so I decided to go ahead and download that. I have HEM on my desktop, perhaps that already has it? I guess I'll wait til tomorrow for Morny as you said. I really appreciate the time you've put into helping me though thanks. I'm a bit too much of a computer monkey though I really need to be spoon-fed the simplest of answers :) For now I'll just play on my laptop, wincing in discomfort at the microscopic eight horribly overlapped tables I have up lol.

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 11:30 PM
No it's not in HM

The three main paths on my system look like this & the idea is to set up a miniature 'network' between HM & postgreSQL

"C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager"
(My HM analytics software)
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4"
(The database that HM queries)
"C:\HMArchive"
(where my raw hand histories are copied after they are read & written into the database)

####
BTW... You realise that you could plug the LARGE screen of your desktop into the laptop & leave everything alone until your techy friend returns ? This is almost as easy as plugging in your toaster :)

Add an extra monitor for a laptop

Because every laptop comes with an integrated screen, you only have to connect one monitor to create a dual screen. That's easy because most laptops have a video port. (Unlike desktop PCs, two video ports are rare on a laptop.) Just plug a monitor into the DVI or VGA port and Windows 7 will automatically detect the monitor. As explained above, you might need an adapter to plug a DVI cable into a VGA port or vice versa.
I plug a monitor into my laptop when I'm at my desk and unplug it when I take my laptop on the go. You don't have to change any settings in Windows when you do this.

http://1.2.3.13/bmi/res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/Main/1/8/18fec5ad-1018-49ce-a4d8-3797bf07ee92/18fec5ad-1018-49ce-a4d8-3797bf07ee92.jpg

The Multiple displays drop-down list appears when Windows detects more than one monitor connected to your PC.

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 11:33 PM
you may have to get a cable or adaptor - easy
I took the below from here:
Work and play better with multiple monitors (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/work-and-play-better-with-multiple-monitors)

Cenotaph
07-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I really just wanna transfer my database from my laptop to my desktop and be done with the laptop. My buddy gets back from Italy in a week and a half he should be able to help then but I was hoping to get it done earlier. Would I need to use my external hard drive?

morny
07-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Use the new backup and restore feature FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/418/Backup+%26+Restore)

and then restore it from the laptop to the PC

Cenotaph
07-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Ok I just did the backup, took a couple hours but it's on my laptop's desktop. Would I use my external hard drive to transfer it over to my PC then restore? Sorry if these questions are super dumb.

netsrak
07-06-2010, 07:33 AM
yep

Cenotaph
07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Should this restore be taking 15 hours and counting to finish? It just seems to be stuck on the same spot. I have a pretty large database but I didn't think it would ever take this long. I did everything instructed in the backup/restore video.

morny
07-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Its hard to know, depends on the actual size, PC specs etc, try and wait as long as possible since you got this far but obviously if it doesnt finish soon it might have froze

Cenotaph
07-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Ugh, did 23 hours then stopped it. Then did 13 hours and stopped it, froze in what looks like same spot on the green progress bar. It's a brand new computer so pretty fast, not sure what the issue could be. Any ideas or alternatives?

netsrak
07-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Please create a new empty database via pgadminIII and try to restore the backup via pgadmin into this new database.

Cenotaph
07-08-2010, 06:34 PM
When people use extreme computer jargon like that with me, a game of Pong breaks out in my head, the little ball bouncing from wall to wall.

morny
07-08-2010, 08:21 PM
This link should help FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)