PDA

View Full Version : does "backup & restore" backup notes on players?

crypkilla
07-02-2010, 06:22 AM
does "backup & restore" backup notes on players?

and another question:
i dont quite understand the difference between HMArchive and the Postgres database. i understand how a database works and everything, i guess im just wondering about the purpose of the HMArchive. is it simply so that i have access to my hand history files if i need them outside of Holdem Manager?

And does the Backup and Restore feature simply restore the database or does it also backup and restore the HMArchive?

netsrak
07-02-2010, 07:04 AM
1. yes, the notes are saved in the database

2. hmarchive is just a backup folder for the original handhistory files. Take it as a 2nd level backup in case your database crashes and you have no current backup.
A export from the database gives the HM converted handhistories and in the archive you have the originals.
I usually zip my archive once a month, delete the files and write the zip file to a CDR.

3. The hmarchive is not needed for the restore.

_Loki_
07-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Good quesions ! This is what I think

###

does "backup & restore" backup notes on players?
I would say "yes it does" for HM notes, because they are stored in the postgreSQL DB, but the FAQ does not say so

###

...HMArchive. is it simply so that i have access to my hand history files if i need them outside of Holdem Manager?
yes

###

...does the Backup and Restore feature simply restore the database or does it also backup and restore the HMArchive?A] The FAQ (below) says this: "Backup & Restore allows you to backup all your Holdem Manager settings along with all of your Hand History files. Once backed up you can copy this to a new PC or new install of Holdem Manager and have all your old settings along with your old Hand History database"
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/418/Backup+%26+Restore)

B] But, I think it backs up & restores these things:
Your postgreSQL databases
Config,
Reports,
Filters,
FishFinder &
SitNGo Wizard Data

###
I don't think the FAQ shoud say it backs up "all of your Hand History files" because it doesn't back up your HMArchive as far as I know...

###
The other way to backup/restore is through pgAdminIII which only operates on your postgreSQL database (which includes your HM notes)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)