PDA

View Full Version : PostgreSQL Problem

kkush
06-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Hello Support,

I'm finding it impossible to connect to PostgresSQL after years of using HEM without problem. I have read EVERY part of the FAQ and followed the steps to the letter. I've turned off all the Windows Defenders, Firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

I've uninstalled both PostgresSQL and HEM from my computer and tried reinstalling them from scratch and it always produces the same result. I've tried versions 8.3 and 8.4.

First I get "The follow error occurred when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'. when I try to open HEM.

Then the "Database Control Panel" opens. I've double and triple checked all the input fields here and everything seems to be in order. When I click connect I get.

"A connection to PostgresSQL could not be made. Would you like to have Holdem Manager attempt to start the service?"

I click Yes.

"Sorry, Holdem Manager was unable to start the service."

Then a split second later....

"Holdem Manager has started the service. Please try again."

But when I try again it gives me the same endless loop of messages. I've spent hours trying to fix this on my own and followed every FAQ I could find.

Any help?

Thanks.

_Loki_
06-29-2010, 08:50 PM
First try closing your PC down & booting it up. This could fix something simple like a windows service or postgreSQL service that's been stopped etc

Then...

This is the standard troubleshoot/fix for your problem. I would start from the section named 'Basic postgreSQL troubleshooting' & work down...
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

_Loki_
06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Just noticed this here:

...I've turned off all the Windows Defenders, Firewalls, anti-virus, etc.
The FAQ I pointed you to doesn't say you should turn them off... you have to be a good deal more ruthless than that if necessary

Also in the FAQ (& also at the bottom of it) are links to the more detailed handling of UAC (depending on your OS), firewall, defender & 3rd party security products