PDA

View Full Version : Backup and Restore Fatal Error...

Talking Poker
06-24-2010, 10:17 PM
I was going to move my HEM DB from my desktop to my laptop tonight, and though I'd try to new Backup and Restore utility.

I click it and confirm to close HEM and immediately get a fatal error:

FATAL: 3D000: database "postgres" does not exist

The only thing I can think of here is that the Backup and Restore utility is assuming my db is in the default location, and mine is not, as I keep it on a different partition. I mean, HEM obv knows where it is, so that's probably not it.

Any ideas?

I'm running a pgAdminIII Backup right now and so far so good maybe 15 minutes into it... just grinding away.

The Minder
06-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Unless postgres is installed on C drive, HM can't find it for backup/restore.

_Loki_
06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi The Minder

I assume HM can be 'told' where to find postgreSQL from a backup/restore point-of-view ?
(I'm looking at installing a 2nd drive)

The Minder
06-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi The Minder

I assume HM can be 'told' where to find postgreSQL from a backup/restore point-of-view ?
(I'm looking at installing a 2nd drive)
Is possible, but it means installing postgress binaries onto C drive and I'm not sure many folks here can do that. I've been toying with the idea and also of writing a "how to". All I need is some enthusiasm/encouragement.

_Loki_
06-25-2010, 12:09 AM
###
Well then - I encourage you to have a go - as long as it's suited to a windoze environment

I haven't made the Linux jump yet...

###
Off Topic:
1] Congratulations BTW on your first Welsh-born, female prime minister
2] Australia being empty(ish) what do you reckon the Australian average value for r is ?
xkcd: Fermirotica (http://www.xkcd.com/563/)
3] The specific value for my locale I calculate to be 400 yards

Talking Poker
06-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Yes, please do this.

Ideally, I'd like to see an option somewhere that says, "What drive is your postgreSQL installation on?" which defaults to C. Then people like me could change it to D and viola - Goodbye fatal error and hello easy backup and restore process.

Thanks for the consideration.

The Minder
06-25-2010, 01:08 AM
@ loki... about 145 miles... at a guess. (smartazz)

@ TP... ok, I've downloaded the binaries and will see what I can do. Prolly looking at a week or so.

The Minder
06-25-2010, 03:34 AM
@ Talking Poker. Where is postgress install on your puter... C drive or on the 'other' partition?

Talking Poker
06-25-2010, 03:46 AM
@ Talking Poker. Where is postgress install on your puter... C drive or on the 'other' partition?

The other... D.

The Minder
06-25-2010, 04:41 AM
Ok, after considering all available factors and close examination of a chicken's entrails, I have concluded that there is no such thing as gravity... the earth sux!

To explain...

There's 3 ways a user can set up HEM/Postges.
Group 1. All on the same drive... typically C Drive, Group 2. For people who don't like to be told what to do, HEM is on one drive and postgres is on another, and Group 3. Raving lunatics like me who prefer Linux, servers, VMs and the 1960s.
In researching this I got a lot of useful info from the PT3 forum (yes Alice, it's ok to peek at the competition) and concluded that for us group 2 and 3 there may be a solution to the backup/restore failure mention here and elsewhere on the HEM forum... so I decided to look after myself first.

I installed the postgres binaries into the psqlODBC directory and after some fancy footwork I got Windoze, and ergo HEM, to know where pg_dump.exe was. pg_dump.exe is the executable that starts the backup operation... ldo. Well, pg_dump threw a hissy fit complaining about insertion points and other weird stuff. When I tried the same thing with PT3's backup, I got a different, but equally frustrating error. Fortunately, some old PT3 forum threads shed a little light on the matter, especially for those who are Group 2 nerds... erm, people.

To cut a long story short it seems there is a difference between HEM and PT3 in that PT3 can create a db on any available drive (within reason) whereas I can find no feature within HEM that allows this. I think that if this was available within HEM (assuming I'm right) then Talking Poker and _Loki_ should get what they want.

Not sure if it will help the Group 3 folks tho... might.

Can we get a developer or support person to confirm that HEM can or cannot create a db on a drive other than where postgres is?... tyvm.

netsrak
06-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Tx The_Minder, i have forwarded it.

B-Money
06-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks,
That crash will be fixed in a coming release.

As for getting the backup to work on different postgres install drives. At the time I decided it wasn't critical to get this feature done before releasing backup/restore because most people have installs on C: If someone installed postgres to a different drive they have the technical skills to easily export their hands from HM or PGAdmin.

If you need assistance with that you can check out this FAQ or ask the tech support team for assistance.

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How to Import & Export Hands (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/98/How+to+Import+%26+Export+Hands)

We'll get the crash fixed in a future release and I'll inquire what it would take to support non C: installs of Postgres for the backup utility.

GL,
-B