PDA

View Full Version : getting started w/H.M.

ronv
06-21-2010, 01:27 PM
I would like to get started..Besides H.M. what other program would you suggest I purchase to get started?

Ron V.

_Loki_
06-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Ron

More info please

What is your poison exactly ?

Cash or tourney ?
STT or MTT ?
HU, 6max, FR ?
limit, pot limit, NL or something else ?
poker site(s) ?

Do you play 1 table, 3 tables 24million tables :)

ronv
06-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Michael, I play cash 6 Max , micro to .50-1.00, STT.$10 OR $20...Some MTT Satellite and cash...I like HU I do pretty well at it...Full Tilt and Poker Stars

All N. L right now..
Thank You for Your Help
Ron V.

_Loki_
06-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Ron

I read your piece about yourself - billiards is unusual in The States isn't it ? I'm into pool

Also you mention Blues. The Blues (mainly guitar & blues harp) is a big thing for me although I lean towards what rock side of blues rather than traditional. Mainly I like fusion styles such as Joe Bonamassa or Jimi in the rock idiom or almost anyone here on the jazz side of rock: OpenDNS (http://www.jazz-rock.com/) , but particurly Miles & the guitarists who worked with him before he went into the funk garbage period. Also of course Led Zeppelin who crossed many boundaries & I have a love for the early Jefferson Airplane :)

Traditional electric.. it's Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Jimmy Reed & John Leek Hooker
Unplugged it's gotta be Blind Lemon Jefferson & Lightnin' Hopkins who I think were both from Texas

###
Regarding your question for a deeper discussion you might want to PM me your email address...

I bought HM July '09 & that is all I use still. I'm a 6max nlhe cash player & I can't see any advantage to adding further software to my game. I play 3 or 4 tables at once & write loads of notes on how the important (both fishy & tight) players handle various important hands. I would think that notes would be vital in HU - observation must be vital there & a true understanding of what the villain thinks you are thinking about what the villain is thinking about you... there's no HUD in the world for that - right ?

The other tools I use are books, vids & postplay analysis using HM. You play a wider range of games than me & I can't advise on stuff outside my experience, BUT if I was to buy more software it would be...

** Leakbuster to help me analyse my game & increase my ROI (I think this is only good for 6max & FR NLHE cash)
** Maybe TableScanner, but this isn't necessary when you play only a few tables

I think I'm about ready to start mixing it up & also playing STT SnG's & DoN's because I like the way they have a definite start & finish - it gets the blood flowing. The trouble is I'm ready, but HM isn't yet IMO, but I'm hoping it's going to get there - SOON

###
I think I'm happiest at using only a few poker tools, but using them to the max
Other strategies involve multitabling; grinding for rake, bonuses & vip points & datamining, but where's the buzz in that ?

_Loki_
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
got the PM - will reply soon, just looking something up