PDA

View Full Version : Problems after moving data in PostgreSQL!

Espo
06-16-2010, 05:10 AM
My PostgreSQL was to big so I had to move it to another disc.

I followed this link: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition)

I did anything it says and now when Iīm trying to start HoldemManager I get this error message: "The following error occurred when trying to open the datebase: Failed to establish a connection toī127.0.0.1."

After clicking ok I got to Database Control Panel. I try to click connect and get the following error: "A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. Would you like HoldemManager to try to start the service?"

I choose yes and it says PostgreSQL will be started. Then nothing happens and I try connect again and it says HoldemManger fail to start PostgreSQL.

If I go to services and try to start it my self it says : "It was not possible to start the service PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 on local computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond in time."

So it seems to be something wrong with PostgreSQL. Can I just reinstall PostgreSQL or what should I do?

netsrak
06-16-2010, 07:08 AM
The reinstall is worth a try.

Please follow this faq: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)

Espo
06-22-2010, 07:35 AM
I have tried to reinstall PostgreSQL 8.3, but the problem is still there. PostgreSQL canīt be started. If I try to start PostgreSQL manually, but got a message either that the service donīt respond or that it has been started and stopped again.

Should I try to reinstall both HoldemManager and PostgreSQL with the combo installer? Or is there any other way to solve this.

And the problem started after I moved PostgreSQL to partion H:

netsrak
06-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Move it backup to its origin location and try to install postgresql again.

Or do you have a backup of your database (which you should make before trying to move)?
Then i suggest uninstall postgresql again, download and install it from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) and install it to the new partition. After that restore the database backup.

Espo
06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Well I have already unistalled and reinstalled PostgreSQL, but it didnīt help. I have a backup of the database. But the problem is how to get PostgreSQL to work again? And if it could be necessary to reinstall HoldemManger as well and use the combo installer to install everything fresh?

netsrak
06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
A Holdemmanager installation would not help.

What problem do you have when you try a new postgresql installation after uninstalling it?
Do you get any error message?

Espo
06-30-2010, 08:36 PM
When trying to start HoldemManager it says: The following error occured when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection ī127.0.0.1ī.

Then the database Control Panel pop up. I click connect and it says
"A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made."

So any idea what to do?

_Loki_
06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi Espo

First try rebooting your PC & see if that fixes it...

If it doesn't fix it then work through the below FAQ from the part called 'Basic PostgreSQL Troubleshooting'
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

Espo
07-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I have tried the FAQ and nothing work.

When trying to start the service "PostgreSQL database" manually I get any of these two errors; "The service PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 could not be started on the local computer. Error 1053: The service didnīt respond on start- or control-request in time" or " Service PostgreSQL database on local computer started and stopped again. Some services stops automatically if they are not needed. An example of this is the service Performance Logs and Alerts."

So what can I do to get PostgreSQL to work again? Any ideas?

_Loki_
07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
###
Let's go back a few steps to this suggestion from Netsrak:

Move it backup to its origin location and try to install postgresql again.

Or do you have a backup of your database (which you should make before trying to move)?
Then i suggest uninstall postgresql again, download and install it from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) and install it to the new partition. After that restore the database backup.

What did you do from the above quote ?
Where is postgreSQL now ?
Which postgreSQL did you install - the one from the link that Netsrak gave ?
Describe your setup
Do you have antivirus, Firewall etc now or not ?

###
That 1053 error. Did you do this ? :

please give HoldemManager Administrator rights:

1) Go to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager (Program Files (x86) if you have the 64bit version)
2) Rightclick the HoldemManager.exe and choose "Properties".
3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and select "Run this program as an Administrator". if the option is grayed out then this is because youve UAC disabled, in which case enable UAC Disable User Account Control (UAC) the Easy Way on Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek and reboot the PC then do step 3 and then you can disable UAC again if you like.
4) Do the same for HMHud.exe and DBControlPanel.exe and hmimport.exe

###
The FAQ I suggested to you - what exactly did you try from it & what didn't you try ?

morny
07-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Are you familiar with Event Viewer. Can you go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer and then into applications and you should see an error for postgreSQL that corresponds to the time of the 1053 error, can you post the details of that error and it will give me an idea of whats wrong

Espo
07-03-2010, 05:53 PM
###
Let's go back a few steps to this suggestion from Netsrak:

What did you do from the above quote ?
Where is postgreSQL now ?
Which postgreSQL did you install - the one from the link that Netsrak gave ?
Describe your setup
Do you have antivirus, Firewall etc now or not ?

###
That 1053 error. Did you do this ? :

please give HoldemManager Administrator rights:

1) Go to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager (Program Files (x86) if you have the 64bit version)
2) Rightclick the HoldemManager.exe and choose "Properties".
3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and select "Run this program as an Administrator". if the option is grayed out then this is because youve UAC disabled, in which case enable UAC Disable User Account Control (UAC) the Easy Way on Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek and reboot the PC then do step 3 and then you can disable UAC again if you like.
4) Do the same for HMHud.exe and DBControlPanel.exe and hmimport.exe

###
The FAQ I suggested to you - what exactly did you try from it & what didn't you try ?

I did try to reinstall postgresql to the new partion. I have a backup, but I donīt know how to use it if I canīt start HoldemManager?

I have Comodo Firewall and NOD32 antivirus. These programs have been installed all the time.

Since I run XP I canīt use "Run this program as an Administrator" what I can see?

Espo
07-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Are you familiar with Event Viewer. Can you go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer and then into applications and you should see an error for postgreSQL that corresponds to the time of the 1053 error, can you post the details of that error and it will give me an idea of whats wrong

Is Event Viewer the same as logbook? If so I can see this error message there: "postgres cannot access the server configuration file "H:/Program Files/data/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory"

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi Espo

I'm sorry I didn't realise it was xp

1] "Run this program as an Administrator":
It doesn't apply in xp. It is for vista & win7

2] This is how to use 'Event viewer' in xp:
How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427)

Espo
07-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Espo

I'm sorry I didn't realise it was xp

1] "Run this program as an Administrator":
It doesn't apply in xp. It is for vista & win7

2] This is how to use 'Event viewer' in xp:
How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427)

Okey and then this is what it says: "postgres cannot access the server configuration file "H:/Program Files/data/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory"

netsrak
07-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Does this file exist?

Espo
07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Itīs exist, but the path is not right! Where do I change this? It should be H:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data

netsrak
07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
It should be in one of the .conf files of your postgresql installation.

Stop the postgresql service before making changes to this files.

Espo
07-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Excuse me for not understanding, but canīt find. Should it be something in any of the 3 .conf files in the data map I should change?

morny
07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
The registry will need to be updated, might be a bit tricky to explain, maybe we can do a teamviewer session to troubleshoot the problem, please email me with a suitable time to do the session and also the timezone your in.

Thanks
Morny
support@holdemmanager.com

Espo
07-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I edit in the register so the old error message disappeared. However now I find this error in event viewer instead: 2010-07-06 18:31:08 CEST PANIC: could not open control file "global/pg_control": Permission denied

Any idea?

morny
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Try right clicking on the data folder in postgreSQL, then choose properties and go into the security tab and choose edit and give all the users in their full control, then try restarting PostgreSQL and see if there is another message

Espo
07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Im running XP so I guess I canīt do that? :-(

morny
07-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah i think XP only has the sharing TAB, ive not seen that error before so im not sure if i can help but send an email and ill take a look via teamviewer tomorrow evening as its late here

Espo
07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Would be nice of you. Iīm not sure about you email? And would you like me to send screen shots or something?

netsrak
07-07-2010, 03:39 AM
Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

Realnap5ter
07-24-2010, 01:08 PM
+1
the problem is i cannot restart the postresql service again it goes on starting... and remains like that.
PS: i'm on win7

netsrak
07-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Uninstall postgresql, move the data folder to the new location.
Reinstall postgresql following this faq: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)

If that doesn't work reinstall Postgresql, create a new empty database via pgadmin and restore your database backup.