PDA

View Full Version : Another Postgres thread

LostInPeace
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Holdem Manager is the best thing I ever see since I play poker!

Postgres is the worst thing (by far) I ever see since I use computers and it's 23 years using them!
A day without Postgres problems it's a good and rare day!

So, what's my problem?
I can't uninstall Postgres!

I go to control panel to uninstall it and it "freezes" doing it!

History:
1. My Hard disk crashed!
2. I recovered almost everything from the disk (including the postgres folder), but I had to install everything (windows, programs, etc).
3. As I had to install everything I buyed a new SSD disk (it's F: now).
4. Then I installed everything!
5. Last thing was Holdem Manager because I was already expecting problems!
6. TADA... the problems begun... the Installer Combo installed HM in F:\ disk as I want and installed Postrgres in C:\ disk! It works fine but Postgres is in the wrong disk!
7. Fuc&)(%/$(/(=)»?=)/=)&%$/)(»`»?)?=)$$(=)(
8. Went to the FAQs and found this: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition)
9. As it says that I can copy the data from one hard drive to another I was happy because I thought that maybe I can copy the old data from the recovered folder to new folder. So, what I did?. As I was expecting problems again, before moving the database from C:\ to F:\ I made an experience - I made a copy from the data in Postgres to another folder (backup folder) , and the I copied the data from the recover folder to the Postgres folder! Didn't work. Just can't connect. Ok. Expecting that already! Deleted the old recovered data from Postgres folder, went to backup folder and put the normal data again in Postgres folder. Didn't work. Ok. Already expecting that.
Let's uninstall everything, to make a new install and try what I see in FAQ and import everything from the beggining (expecting 2 days to import everything).
10. Uninstall HM. Done.
11. Uninstall Postgres from control panel? Just can't do it. When I try a second time to uninstall it a message says to wait untill the first uninstall it's over. But ity's never over. When I close Windows I see for 1 second a message saying something about the uninstall process and I see 2 options, but it's so fast that I can't read everything and choose an option.

So, what can I do?

Thanks

netsrak
06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Did you try to reboot your computer and uninstall postgresql as first thing after the reboot?

Did you take back all the changes you made under 8.?

Please try Revo uninstaller too: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Using Revo Uninstaller (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/126/Using+Revo+Uninstaller+)

After successful uninstallation:
For a custom postgresql installation you need to download and install the version from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

LostInPeace
06-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Did you try to reboot your computer and uninstall postgresql as first thing after the reboot?

Of course!

Did you take back all the changes you made under 8.?

Of course!

Please try Revo uninstaller too: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Using Revo Uninstaller

Thanks! I'll try!

After successful uninstallation:
For a custom postgresql installation you need to download and install the version from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database

It's really need an uninstall!
The Postgres installer says something like this:
" We detected a version of Postgres in C:\blablabla\Postgres" so we will install in the same place!"

LostInPeace
06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I gave up!

I managed to install everything again and don't really know how!
I tried so many things that I don't know what really worked!

Now, I downloaded the Postgres 9 and when it's installing asked for the password and "postgrespass" didn't work!

However HM is using "postgrespass" and it works!

???!?!??

LostInPeace
06-10-2010, 07:22 PM
I just can feel secure with this installation!

First, I now have 2 folders in Postgres folder:
and
8.4-prev-2010-05-Jun-13-22-50

I don't know why!

Second, I tried again to uninstall Postgres in the normal way (control panel) and it's impossible,

Third, I can't understand this new password issue!
The "installer combo" from HM created the password and when I go to "database management" in HM menu I can see that is "postgrespass". But this password won't work with the installer of Postgres 9!
And when I go to the "services" of Windows I can't see the password of Postgres service (it's bullets) but I can see that it's too many many bullets to be "postgrespass"!

I bet that I will have problems in the near future!

morny
06-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Im not sure exactly what you did but if Holdem Manager is working then you must have done it correctly, ive no experience with PostgreSQL 9 as thats a beta version and not officially released

LostInPeace
06-10-2010, 08:54 PM
No!

It was not done correctly!

After a reboot HM can't connect with Postgres!

So, now... i used Revo uninstaller but the program used the unistaller from Postgres, so it was not a good uninstall!

The folders of Postgres were there after the uninstall, but the "service" was not there.

So, I deleted the 2 folders of Postgres (explained above) and 3 folders of "user folder": "postgres", "postgres.user-PC" and "postgres.user-PC.000".

Then I tried again to install only Postgres and failed (same problem, password is not right).

I went to regedit and I deleted 2 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE related to Postgres!

Tried again to install Postgres and same problem:

"The password specified was incorrect. Please enter the correct password for the postgres windows user account."

Can somebody, please tell me where is that password stored and how can I delete/change it?

morny
06-10-2010, 09:09 PM
A lot of the stuff your doing is likely to create more problems like manually deleting the old postgres folders and also deleting registry entries.

Anyway i suggest you try these 2 versions instead, you shouldnt need a password to install PostgreSQL so looks like something is messed up.

If that installer fails to install PostgreSQL, please reinstall PostgreSQL using the following instructions:
A) Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator

net user postgres /delete
B) Reboot.
C) Try installing this version of PostgreSQL - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Postgres_8.3.9-v1.0.7.exe

If the above fails Please try this version PostgreSQL: Choose a Mirror (http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.2.17/win32/postgresql-8.2.17-1.zip)

LostInPeace
06-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Thank you morny!!!
Thank you very much!

You are absolutely right!
No need to delete old postgres folders or delete anything in the registry!

I know because I did this, as you said:

"A) Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
PHP Code:
B) Reboot."

And after that I installed Postgres 9 by mistake (the 2 installers were one next to the other).
I only saw my mistake after the installation. But I tryed anyway to install HM after that and it worked.

But then, as Postgres 9 is a Beta version and I saw in a FAQ that HM administration recomends Postgres 8.4 I decided to uninstall Postgres 9 (and HM for precaution) .
Uninstall was normal, without problems. The folders of Postgres 9 are there after the uninstallation.

But when I tryed to install POstgres 8.4, same problem. It sayed that the password is wrong (I don't understand this problem).

I did: "A) Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
PHP Code:
B) Reboot."....
.... again!

And after that I tried again to install 8.4 and it worked.
After that I installed HM and now everything looks normal (untill now)!

Now, I have HM and Postgres at SSD disk and for now I just can say that importing hands it's 2 or 3 times faster than before.

Information:
I have a Key Scrambler!
Maybe my password problem has something to do with that but I don't know why!
First, because the key scrambler is for the browser.
Second, because in my first installation it was the "HM installer combo" who introduced the password (not me with the keyboard).

morny
06-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Glad you got it working:)