PDA

View Full Version : Sessions tab wont fully load

martin dtc
06-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Hello

I wanted to take a look at the biggest hands of the last days..
So I went to my sessions tab..
The upper half works fine and it showed the days, stats, everything like it should. But the under half didnt load the hands at all, so I cant replay a hand or look at the 5 biggest pots played yesterday..

I have the last version of HEM

Anybody know what the problem is, or what I can try to fix it?

Regards,

Martin

netsrak
06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Is this only for the specific filter or do you see no hands at all?

martin dtc
06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
not at all..

but there has been an interesting happening...

I set my tab to sessions and clicked on 3 june 2010... nothing happened
I left the computer on and went for a snack, when I came back after 20 minutes, I saw some hands. I had 100 hands clicked on...
then I tried to see All Hands, but after 5 minutes waiting for them, Its still a white screen... this is very strange

it means it can load the hands but it takes forever...

really strange is that things like the upper half of the reports/sessions tab and the graph of more than 300k hands is super fast...

morny
06-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Please install the latest version: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe even if you already have it, maybe some system files got corrupted so overwriting them may fix it, if not can you create a new database FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Create / Delete Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database) and import some hands and see if the problem persist

martin dtc
06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I already downloaded the latest version again..

Also I noticed that when I was loading 100 hands in the sessions tab my PC got really busy and the processor-use was about 100% for 5 minutes... and this is crazy, because a week ago this was about 1 second to load..

netsrak
06-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Please try this: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Hands View Column Selection (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/192/Hands+View+Column+Selection)

and
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Holdem Manager Performance & Speed Tweaks (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/373/Holdem+Manager+Performance+%26+Speed+Tweaks)

martin dtc
06-05-2010, 12:20 PM
they both didnt help me to solve my problem...

how can it be possible that it takes my PC 5 very heavy minutes to load 1800 hands I played a week ago??

in all other things both HEM and my PC are very quick.

If I reinstall HEM totally....
- would inot lose any of my data (a function like: this database already exists, and where will my database be saved)
- can it solve this weird problem..

morny
06-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Just to confirm, these 1800 hands, were you importing via Auto Import or did you use the manual import from file option?

Dodgyrocker
06-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I am having a very similar problem, as I posted here:

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-bugs/31895-hem-having-big-lag-issues-after-database-purge.html#post153456

I tried all the advice in my ^ thread and also in this thread, but nothing seems to solve it.

Strange that this has suddenly come from out of nowhere.

Hope someone is able to fix this, and we don't have to uninstall everything and start again!

martin dtc
06-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Just to confirm, these 1800 hands, were you importing via Auto Import or did you use the manual import from file option?

These hands I played myself and were imported using auto import during play.
but if want to look back hands that I imported manually it has the same problem. I noticed that this problem occurs in every tab, If I want to see the 5 times I 3betted K5s this year, it takes HEM about 4 minutes to load these 5 hands...

After what dodgy said I think something during purging or vacuuming screwed up something in HEM, and because of that every hand I load in a sessions/reports/hands tab takes very very long...

netsrak
06-06-2010, 04:49 AM
See my post in the other thread: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-bugs/31895-hem-having-big-lag-issues-after-database-purge.html

Please try a new test database too.

Dodgyrocker
06-06-2010, 08:03 AM
I followed the advice from my related thread (http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-bugs/31895-hem-having-big-lag-issues-after-database-purge.html) and created a new database as a test. I imported 200k or so hands, performed the vacuuming, and then had a look to see if it worked fine.

And yes, it worked absolutely fine. No lag at all when looking at session reviews/reports/replaying hands/changing setting etc. In fact it was super fast (much faster in fact that my main database had been even before it started to produce these huge lag issues).

So this would suggest that there is nothing wrong with my hard drive as you suggested, and there is nothing wrong with my HEM installation or computer spec or anything like that. The only conclusion I can reach is that somehow my original database has been suddenly 'corrupted' (for want of a better word) and I strongly think that this was caused by the purge I performed.

Just to make it clear - prior to the purge I experienced no lag problems at all. It would sometimes take a few seconds to load up reports or whatever, but that is to be expected surely considering my database had millions of hands in it. But basically there were no huge lag issues and it was perfectly usable. Then immediately after I performed the purge the database instantly started having these huge lag issues which has made it pretty much unusable.

Given the above info, and given that I am not the only person to have experienced this, and given that the other guy says he has some suspicions that his problems also started after he had performed a purge - it looks likely that in some way the purge process has screwed things up (i.e. it is not a problem with my HD, or PC, or anything else). I realise you don't want to accept this and say things like "I have purged my database on a regular basis and never experienced any problems. Thus it can't be this and it must be your HD instead". All I know is that I (and at least one other person) have developed this serious issue from out of nowhere, and I would really like it to be solved if possible.

Hope you can help...

morny
06-06-2010, 12:23 PM
So if you now revert back to the old database the lagging starts again?

I purge hands on a regular basis and dont experience these issues either so the best way to test this is to use the backup and restore option FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/418/Backup+%26+Restore) and backup the laggin and new database upload it and email the link to support@holdemmanager.com and well do some testing on the issue

The thing is if there is an issue with your hard drive it may be with specific clusters, so when you created a new database it might not have affected you since that new cluster was fine but it may corrupt that in the future. Anyway if you send me the files ill check if i have the same performance issues.

martin dtc
06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
the new database works fine..
its a very strange problem but I have an idea to solve it:

-I back my database up, export notes and everything then reimport the database and notes (could this solve the problem?)
This idea creates another problem...

When I try to make a back-up the 14GB I got left on my C;/Drive gets full and the backing-up-process cancels, even if I save the back-up on the D:/Drive (by the way: HEM and Postgres are both installed on the D;/Drive)

A lot of hands in my database are deleted from my harddrive or I cant find them because they came from another computer, therefore creating a new database isnt a very good option...

Please solve these problems...

netsrak
06-07-2010, 03:44 AM
The easiest way for a backup / restore is:

- create a backup of your database via pgadminIII - this also includes the notes. Select a path on D: for this.
- create a new empty database via pgadminIII
- restore the backup into this new database via pgadminIII
- connect your Holdemmanager to this new database.

martin dtc
06-07-2010, 06:37 AM
But every time I do this the C:/ drive gets full (while i have 13GB free space) and the process cancels...

netsrak
06-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Even when you run the backup via pgadminIII? I thought this was only related to the HM backup function.
Sorry but i have no other solution for this. It may possibly help to search in a postgresql community like PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

martin dtc
07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Hello

I bought a new PC and installed the latest HEM and Postgres.
Then I backed the old databse up and restored it on the new PC.
And still, I have a problem with the sessions tab and every kind of hand-columns, (the upper half op the reports tab or the session tab work fine).

I hope someone can get me any further.

_Loki_
07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi Martin

...I bought a new PC and installed the latest HEM and Postgres. Then I backed the old databse up and restored it on the new PC. And still, I have a problem with the sessions tab and every kind of hand-columns, (the upper half op the reports tab or the session tab work fine). I hope someone can get me any further.

I'm just confirming - you mean exactly this problem from your first post in this thread:

... sessions tab.. The upper half works fine and it showed the days, stats, everything like it should. But the under half didnt load the hands at all, so I cant replay a hand or look at the 5 biggest pots played yesterday..

martin dtc
07-01-2010, 08:25 PM
yes, exactly.

_Loki_
07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I think we have to revisit some old ground, because your old problem has travelled to a new PC :)

###
Forget about backup/restore [for now]. I'm thinking if there's a problem in your previous DB on your old PC then maybe you are putting the problem back in using backup/restore

###
I remember from a week ago that you have a very large DB (by my standards :) ) - 5 million hands or something
I think you mentioned in the past that you don't have a complete HH archive - which is a shame. In other words many of your hands only live in your postgreSQL DB ?
I think you should...
1] Export all hands as raw .txt hand histories frm your new DB
2] Save copies of these to a flash drive for security (& do that regularly)
3] Eventually reimport ALL these HH's into a new, empty DB. You lose your notes though of course
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How to Import & Export Hands (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/98/How+to+Import+%26+Export+Hands)

###
But first why not try what I suggested a week ago to see if it solves the 'session tab' thing ?
If it does we can be sure that your problem relates to the DB in some way (a corrupt pg table or something?)
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/32749-1-11-02b-sessions-tab.html

edited

Test DB...
make a new DB & set it as default - I suggest UTF8
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Create / Delete Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database)
copy/paste a sample of say 1,000 hands from HMArchive [or from the hands you exported above] to a new folder on your desktop
import using 'import from folder' button
close/reopen HM
set hero name
Test

_Loki_
07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Also regarding the player notes side of things
You asked about deleting player notes in postgreSQL I recall ?
Did you do that & did it cause any problems ?

martin dtc
07-02-2010, 05:29 AM
Also regarding the player notes side of things
You asked about deleting player notes in postgreSQL I recall ?
Did you do that & did it cause any problems ?

I didnt delete any notes

_Loki_
07-02-2010, 06:28 AM
OK. And...

the new small test DB works ?

martin dtc
07-02-2010, 06:54 AM
OK. And...

the new small test DB works ?

No I had the same problem, just slightly faster, but it still took about 3 minutes to load 1000 hands....

About exporting all hands (around 6million) as txt file to somewhere on my computer, how long will this take? (I have a brand new very fast PC)

Im planning on running this at night, but if it takes 20 hours or something I rather do it in pieces so I have plenty of time to play poker during the day...

Thank you.

_Loki_
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
###
Is this new computer a win 7 laptop or desktop pc ? If it is a laptop go to Control Panel > Power Settings and make sure it's running on high performance.
The 'Power Save' mode often used on laptops can kill the performance of your machine (you might as well check this if it's a desktop too :) )

###
What security products are loaded & running on it ?

###
I don't know how long it takes to export that many HH's as raw .txt files
I don't think you can export in chunks if it's from one DB

###
So you put 1,000 HH's into the new small test database using the 'import from folder' button ? & you have selected your hero name ? & it takes an age to show results in the bottom pane of sessions tab ?

This isn't a broken postgreSQL problem then. It is something to do with your settings in various areas...

Try these 3 things to start with & report back on performance:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Hands View Column Selection (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/192/Hands+View+Column+Selection)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Run .exe Files As Administrator (Windows 7 & Vista) (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/129/Run+.exe+Files+As+Administrator+%28Windows+7+%26+V ista%29)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/275/Windows+Firewall+%7B47%7D+Defender+Problems)

###
I am fascinated as to how you can have the same problem across two computers - one of which is new & fast

martin dtc
07-03-2010, 05:35 AM
I am very fascinated too, (unfortunately) I am not a big computer nerd.

And actually, both my computers are very fast...

I am now busy importing all the txt files I saved last nigth on a extern hard drive.
But I have a question about this: Will this also export/import hands I didnt play but hands that I did import in my old database??

netsrak
07-03-2010, 06:03 AM
yep, all hands.

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi Martin

** What security products are loaded & running on your new pc ?
** What have you tried doing from the performance improvement tips (& links) in my last post ?
** Have you done them & retested your SMALL database for loading speed ?

###
From your last post it sounds as if you are already doing step 3] of this:

...very large DB...don't have a complete HH archive...many of your hands only live in your pgSQL DB
1] Export all hands as raw .txt hand histories from your new DB
2] Save copies of these to a flash drive for security (& do that regularly)
3] Eventually reimport ALL these HH's into a new, empty DB
If you are, then you are probably wasting your time & effort - the idea behind the above exercise was for you to have a proper raw .txt archive. If it turns out you have to re-install postgreSQL as part of the fix, then you lose all that DB. Doing 1] & 2] was the critical part - creating an archive...

###
BTW: I tried loading my session (group by day) tab window & it took less than 1 second to populate the bottom 'hands' pane with 1,400 hands from one day. This is with a 5 year old laptop with 1 x 1.60 GHz CPU & 1.5Gb memory

martin dtc
07-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I am now busy with step 3...

For security I have AVG running, I also had AVG when this problem wasnt active.

Could the problem be solved by upgrading Posgres, I now have 8.4 version?
If this could help I will delete postgres and install an other version an reimport all the hands I have backuped on a extern hard drive

_Loki_
07-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I stand by all that I've posted before

###
YOUR QUESTIONS:

** PostgreSQL version: Stay with 8.4

** AVG: Whether you had AVG before the problem or not... that's irrelevant
It's how these products are set up & whether you have set up exceptions to AVG scanning or not

###
I have given you what you need to do these VITAL things (& my list is not complete) ...

** add exceptions to your firewall for: Port5432 & FIVE different HM & postgreSQL .exe's

** run THREE HM .exe's as admin

** add exceptions to defender if you have it

** add exceptions to AVG scanning possibly (depending on what AVG is set up to do)

** sort hands view column selection

** check your pc power settings

###
I was then going to move onto these if necessary ...

** check to see what processes are running when you use postgreSQL

** different tests on a small DB

martin dtc
07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Hello

I think im just going to deal with a very slow sessions tab, but there is one thing thats hard to deal with..

When I am in the reports tab and select Leak buster -> Overall, I get all hands (instead of per limit, the purpose of this is: every time I click on an other limit it takes more than 10 minutes to load the hands)..

When I choose a LB filter like Called Cbet with TPTK or whatever no hands are loading what so ever..

If I start HEM normally and go the reports tab it will load the last 100 hands of a certain limit ive selected.

But it usually doesnt work the same for loaded filters, and if it does work and in stead of last 100 hands I select all (in LB filters this wont succeed 1k hands) it doenst load again...

What can I do about this?

_Loki_
07-11-2010, 02:15 PM
it's all connected martin....

but removing winnerhands etc etc from hands view column selection will help
it's in the performance tips link already posted

martin dtc
07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Thats all very nice, and I did that already.
But whenever I select a filter (even with only 6 hands) it doesnt load them, so I cant replay the hands...

_Loki_
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Read through this thread & then tell me how I'm supposed to know what you've done & what you haven't done ?

########################################
Here's a recent post of mine with little feedback from you - you will have to search through previous posts in this thread to see how to do some of these things - but i have supplied the informaion
########################################

YOUR QUESTIONS:

** PostgreSQL version: Stay with 8.4

** AVG: Whether you had AVG before the problem or not... that's irrelevant. It's how these products are set up & whether you have set up exceptions to AVG scanning or not

###
I have given you what you need to do these VITAL things (& my list is not complete) ...

** add exceptions to your firewall for: Port5432 & FIVE different HM & postgreSQL .exe's

** run THREE HM .exe's as admin

** add exceptions to defender if you have it (or remove it)

** add exceptions to AVG scanning possibly (depending on what AVG is set up to do)

** sort hands view column selection

** check your pc power settings

###
I was then going to move onto these if necessary ...

** check to see what processes are running when you use postgreSQL

** different tests on a small DB