PDA

View Full Version : Installing on new machine

antneye
06-02-2010, 03:39 PM
My laptop died today, but I was able to salvage the hard drive. When I install on my new machine I would like to capture as many of my settings as possible so I do not have to re-do everything.....note I never used the recently released back-up features.

I have all of my HH's already backed up, as well as my notes, bonus and rakeback info.

What other files can I pull from the original directory to maintain my customizations?

I want to avoid re-building my HUD and settings if possible.
I want to avoid re-doing my reports
I want to avoid re-doing my table scanner settings.....scoring etc if possible.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

netsrak
06-03-2010, 05:22 AM
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstalling on a new PC - Backup Tips (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips)

antneye
06-03-2010, 07:48 AM
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstalling on a new PC - Backup Tips (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips)

Netsrak,

The laptop died. I have no ability to use the backup and restore feature. I simply have access to the old files since I was able to convert the drive into an external....but I can't get HEM to run so I will be doing a fresh install on the new computer.

What I am looking for is some direction on which files I can retrieve so that I can maintain as many of my settings (Hud, popups, autorate, etc) as possible to minimize the effort I will need to put in to rebuild everything.

morny
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Ok the folders youll need to backup are as follows

1) config folder in C:/Program Files/RVGsoftware/HoldemManager
2) data folder in C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.x
3) C:/HMarchive Folder

If you had your hands archived (3) you probably wont need (1)
If you dont have your hands archived then youll probably need me to do a TV session to connect to the old database and its not gauranteed it will work either so let me know if youve them archived or not and well take it from there

antneye
06-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Ok the folders youll need to backup are as follows

1) config folder in C:/Program Files/RVGsoftware/HoldemManager
2) data folder in C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.x
3) C:/HMarchive Folder

If you had your hands archived (3) you probably wont need (1)
If you dont have your hands archived then youll probably need me to do a TV session to connect to the old database and its not gauranteed it will work either so let me know if youve them archived or not and well take it from there

Thanks....All hands are already either exported to external drive or sitting in the archive folder if I had not yet exported them. Once I do an export I wipe out the archive file. I will have no issue re-importing all of my hands once the new d-base is set up. I was just trying to ease the pain on re-setting things up...especially my hud.

My new install will most likely be postgres 8.4 Am I just going to copy that old 8.3 postgres data folder into the new postgres 8.4 data folder? What info is housed in that data folder?

Items I already have exported:

Hands
Rakeback and bonuses
Notes (unfortunately its outdated....not sure if can salvage the more recent ones at this point.

netsrak
06-04-2010, 06:59 AM
It is not possible to copy a 8.3 data folder to 8.4. This contains your whole database. You need to backup/restore the database.

Your Hud settings etc. are in the config folder.

antneye
06-04-2010, 07:59 AM
It is not possible to copy a 8.3 data folder to 8.4. This contains your whole database. You need to backup/restore the database.

Your Hud settings etc. are in the config folder.

So if I am understanding this properly, All I need to do is re-install, copy over the config folder and re-import my hands and I will have my d-base set up exactly as it used to be?

Also, is there any way for me to retrieve my notes from the hard drive? My last notes export was in December, so the file I have is very outdated.

netsrak
06-04-2010, 08:02 AM
yes for the import.

For getting newer notes you need access to the old database.