PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing PostgresSQL on another drive

madshakes
05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi, I am trying to install PostgresSQL on my USB hard drive so I can share it with both my desktop and laptop. I downloaded version 8.4.4, ran the installer, and configured it to install on my external drive, but at the end, I get the following error message: "Problem running post install step. Installation may not complete correctly. Error reading file P:/data/postgresql.conf". I ignored it and ran Holdemmanager, and it says I couldn't start the service. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium x64, by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lethalrose
06-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Are you installing to a FAT partition?

madshakes
06-01-2010, 12:51 AM
No, NTFS.

netsrak
06-01-2010, 03:23 AM
You should look in postgresql forums for help (PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)). This is not a standard problem or configuration.

madshakes
06-01-2010, 10:29 AM
OK, I just read in another post that running PostgreSQL from an external hard drive will make things very slow. Is it the same for a USB flash drive?

morny
06-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Yes it will slow it somewhat as your transferring the information via USB, it also depends on the quality of the hard drive and USB sticks are usually the lowest quality so that would possibly slow it further.