PDA

View Full Version : does HUD use 3D acceleration?

iksmirp
05-29-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm running all my poker software inside a virtual machine. I got XP installed in a VirtualBox and can run it from any computer i own, from my laptop or desktop machine. I just share the VMDI and fire it up. i got linux on laptop and Vista on desktop.

It was all working just fine for over a year now, no problems whatsoever. But i think the latest vbox 3.2 borked something. First i couldn't start up the VM; took me 20 tries, hanged each time. it would hang at the moment i fired up the holdem manager. once i got past that, now the HUD won't start. it's importing hands just fine and i can see them in the reports tab, but the HUD won't start.

I keep getting these errors in my vbox log

OpenGL Warning: !!!FAILED!!! Render SPU: SetWindowPos (
, but i don't know if they're related or not. i tried reinstalling vbox guest additions but no difference.

3d support in vbox is just experimental anyways and in its early development stage, so if hud uses it, i might have to search for better solutions.

prolly just vbox update fooked something up and it will all work in the next update. i dont understand why would it work for a year before and now it would just stop.

if anyone has any experience with simmilar setups, i'd appreciate any info.

thanks,
best regards

edit: i just ran the 'dxdiag' and 'tested DirectDraw' and all tests completed successfully, so it would seem 3d is working as it should. i dunno, im gonna try downgrading vbox, see it that helps.

edit2: hmm, seems it's not a vbox issue afterall; i tried reinstalling vbox and HUD still wont start. everything else seems to work OK though. i also tried reinstalling HEM with clean configs, but HUD just won't start. It was all working yesterday, i just don't get it. :s

edit3: it seems like it was a config issue. i removed HEM completely, reinstalled and its working now again. forgot to backup my hud settings tho, have to reconfig everything :(

edit4: tl; dr; now it wont activate my table scanner...says hardware profile changed and that i need to deactivate first from the original machine. im probably gonna need some help from the support on this one. thanks.

The Minder
05-29-2010, 09:21 PM
I run Ubuntu 8.04LTS as host, VBox 3.1.8 (not OSE) and XP SP2 as a guest. Additions installed. Until Recently, my dxdiag was showing 2d ok and 3d not available. I had no issues playing any Poker client or running HM.

I wanted to play on the PKR site (uses 3d) so I dl'd the PKR client and naturally enuff it didn't run. I spent a day researching 3d on VB and finally got it working... also found that it's not a perfect implementation. The PKR client ran, sort of, but I'm not happy with it and don't use it anymore. The 3d capability is still installed in my VB.

Point I'm trying to make is that 99% of poker clients and HM do not need 3d rendering. Also, my combination is similar to yours with the exception of the VBox version and I have no problems. I recommend you go back to 3.1.x.