PDA

View Full Version : Postgre on other harddrives than C?

Antny
10-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Ok, I did a bit of research but coulnt find anything.

I just reinstalled Windows and made partitions C,D and E.
"C" should only be for Windows and I left it with 15 GB.
I installed PostgresSQL8.3 on "D" (and replaced my database) and HM also on "D".
Now HM cant find Postgres because it is ONLY looking on "C" for it.
Is there a chance to tell him it is on "D"?
I could reinstall Postgres on "C" but there will be not enough space sooner or later.

Antny
10-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi
It would be really helpful to know if I should install Windows again or if there is a solution for my problem.

Thx!

fabio
10-13-2008, 09:30 AM
HM doesnt look on any partition, do you get a error message when you connect with the database control panel?

Antny
10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes, error message is something like: "couldnt find postgre on C:\... . And its a huge error message. Sry,thats all I remember.
Anyway I reinstalled Windows and have now enough space on C but am still interested in case my database gets bigger than 30 Gb or so if I can reinstall SQL and HM on other harddisks with more space or if HM only loooks for SQL on "C".

"HM doesnt look on any partition" means I cant tell him to do so?

fabio
10-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Sorry, I meant when you install postgres on D for example, HM should find your postgres server also. I have never seen the error you are mentioning - guess you have no screenshot of it?

Antny
10-13-2008, 05:54 PM
No screenshot. Just wanted to know if its possible... and it obv is without problems which I didnt expected. Otherwise I would have made one.

I also had some trouble with the backup. So if you say it works with partitions then it must be something else. Seen too many error messages in the last few days;)
But it works fine now and I will keep it like that.

morny
10-13-2008, 09:38 PM
If its not broke now dont try and fix it:) But sounds like you may have just copied and pasted instead of uninstalling it from the C drive and reinstalling on the C drive?

Antny
10-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I messed up with the backup of the database. There I just copy/pasted the data instead of exporting the hands which I could not have done anyway because I couldnt launch HM because postgre crashed evrytime and system restore was not checked. Then I reinstalled Windows w the 3 partitions and copied the data folder THEN got the error which also included "coulnt find postgre on C:\..."then reinstalled Windows w more space on C (which I know now wasnt neccessary) and made a new database.
But I got 50 % of the hands back and since I was running bad I actually dont miss my 35 K hands.
OK, thx for trying to figure out. It helped to know that I can install postgre and HM on any harddisk.
Now delete plz.