PDA

View Full Version : New computer Going from XP to Win7

gunner109
05-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Looked at some links. Getting a new Computer so trying to head off trouble b4 i start change over. Any links to help, i would rather get as much info as i can. Thanks

Sarek
05-23-2010, 11:11 AM
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstalling on a new PC - Backup Tips (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/418/Backup+%26+Restore)

Arizona Willie
05-24-2010, 03:47 PM
New computer, eh?

Get the fastest processor you can and as much memory as the motherboard will take and also make the jump to Windows 7 64 bit. You might have problems with a printer driver if you have an older printer but 64 bit is the best way to go. All your 32 bit stuff will work fine.

Also using a SATA RAID 0 array will make it better / faster.

Make sure the hard drives are 7400 RPM or faster -- SSD's if you can afford 'em.

Be sure to back up your entire computer using something like Acronis True Image and it makes it easier to restore stuff to the new computer.

I'd also copy the entire Holdem directory and HM archives to another drive as well as copies of the directories for all poker sites you play at. That's in addition to the full backup.

Nothing better than redundancy.

Then follow the directions given and export all your Holdem data and you should have no trouble.

There are programs out there that CLAIM to be able to transfer everything from the old computer to a new one but I don't know how well they work.

gunner109
05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
New computer, eh?

Get the fastest processor you can and as much memory as the motherboard will take and also make the jump to Windows 7 64 bit. You might have problems with a printer driver if you have an older printer but 64 bit is the best way to go. All your 32 bit stuff will work fine.

Also using a SATA RAID 0 array will make it better / faster.

Make sure the hard drives are 7400 RPM or faster -- SSD's if you can afford 'em.

Be sure to back up your entire computer using something like Acronis True Image and it makes it easier to restore stuff to the new computer.

I'd also copy the entire Holdem directory and HM archives to another drive as well as copies of the directories for all poker sites you play at. That's in addition to the full backup.

Nothing better than redundancy.

Then follow the directions given and export all your Holdem data and you should have no trouble.

There are programs out there that CLAIM to be able to transfer everything from the old computer to a new one but I don't know how well they work.

Thanks Arizona