PDA

View Full Version : HEM crashing and damaging computers?

Tumaterminator
05-21-2010, 08:24 PM
x-post from 2p2 HEM crashing and damaging computers? - Gambling and Poker Software Forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/45/software/hem-crashing-damaging-computers-789570/)

I'm not making accusations yet, just collecting data.

I downloaded HEM to a friend's computer to use the free trial. I don't know the version off hand, but it was on March 20th. I don't recall any trouble with the computer, but it apparently started getting the 'blue screen of death' right after I left town. This persisted for a few days annoyingly for my friend. The computer then wouldn't turn on or start up or whatever, and after some research (I haven't verified this myself) he says he needs a new hard drive.

-Has anyone dealt with the above issue, with it being caused from that version of HEM?

-If so, shouldn't HEM be held liable for damages?

-If it couldn't have possibly been HEM, how do I prove this?

It's an uncomfortable situation for me to be in. I downloaded a seemingly universally safe program, it possibly wrecks a computer that doesn't belong to me. =[

The Minder
05-21-2010, 10:19 PM
2nd most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

If you're getting the blue screen of death it's more likely to be a hardware failure or a corrupt master boot record. Neither of which would be caused by using a commercial program that did not impact others on a grand scale... say like the recent McAfee debacle.

_Capt'n_Cardiac_
05-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi Tumaterminator

Green = your words on 2+2

POST 12208: 20th May 2010
Two Plus Two Poker Forums - View Single Post - *** Official "2010 Pokerstars Regulars" Thread (NSFW)*** (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=19037630&postcount=12208)

I downloaded HEM on a buddy's computer about two months ago. He started getting the blue screen of death, then a few days later his hard drive died. He claims that HEM had a buggy update which led to the computer problems. How likely is this/anyone deal with similar issues?POST 12213:
Two Plus Two Poker Forums - View Single Post - *** Official "2010 Pokerstars Regulars" Thread (NSFW)*** (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=19038359&postcount=12213)

Originally Posted by booger369
tuma, i recently had to download hem and reload all my hands back into it because my com got messed up. every nite i try to mass load hands i wake up to a blue screen of death. its been like 3 times already.thats rough bro, backup your hard drive if you have other things you don't wanna lose...i wonder if it was HEM that caused your problems, i had the bsod too but it went away after i uninstalled the mlb.tv plugin POST 12215:
Two Plus Two Poker Forums - View Single Post - *** Official "2010 Pokerstars Regulars" Thread (NSFW)*** (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=19038532&postcount=12215)

hem should buy us new computers, or at least pay for any damage caused POST 12217:
Two Plus Two Poker Forums - View Single Post - *** Official "2010 Pokerstars Regulars" Thread (NSFW)*** (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=19038771&postcount=12217)

they'll probably just deny it was hems fault, if they accept blame they should be held liable. just bs that im getting fronted a bill for downloading seemingly malicious software
i do agree its an amaxing program, but c'mon

_Capt'n_Cardiac_
05-21-2010, 10:33 PM
2nd most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

What was the 1st ?

The Minder
05-22-2010, 12:00 AM
What was the 1st ?

From my 2nd ex... "Ima gonna find me a girlfriend"

_Capt'n_Cardiac_
05-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Sounds like a life lived :)

Tumaterminator
05-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Why did you re post those quotes of mine?

for the record:

1. I thought the claims were likely bogus too.
2. Those quotes were from a chat thread where someone claimed his computer suffered problems as a result of HEM. I said if it was HEM's fault that his (our) computers are damaged, they should front the bill. Is there a problem with that?
3. I'm not here to bleed hate for HEM and the people who represent it. I love the product and have had nothing but top notch help. All I wanted was more info on the issue at bar.

I am obviously not knowledgeable whatsoever with tech/support. I just want some piece of mind on this. If I've acted inappropriately in the way I've carried my business, I guess I'm sorry even though my intentions are quite obvious and respectful.

Tumaterminator
05-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a life lived :)

So you're content in re posting irrelevant things I've said and chatting with others while totally ignoring my questions? I understand how me saying "they'll just deny it was HEMs fault" is bullshit and unfair, but understand I said it in jest to a friend. I came here to gather raw data and info about the situation, not be mocked.

Feel free to slam me for being unprofessional or just plain stupid, I could care less. Just give me something to work with.

_Capt'n_Cardiac_
05-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi Tumaterminator - Working backwards through this thread...

###
I was not trying to upset you or to mock you. Shall we put that behind us ? I recognise that your remark about "they'll deny it was HEMs fault" was an 'off-the-cuff' remark - no problem

###

Why did you re post those quotes of mine?
I posted your chat from another thread at 2+2 to highlight the difference in the way the BSOD events are described in the two threads
I thought it was important to point out to you the part about the media player:-
Thread 1] "i had the bsod too but it went away after i uninstalled the mlb.tv plugin"
Thread 2] "I don't recall any trouble with the computer, but it apparently started getting the 'blue screen of death' right after I left town. This persisted for a few days annoyingly for my friend. The computer then wouldn't turn on or start up or whatever, and after some research (I haven't verified this myself) he says he needs a new hard drive"

I thought the claims were likely bogus too.OK

Those quotes were from a chat thread where someone claimed his computer suffered problems as a result of HEM. I said if it was HEM's fault that his (our) computers are damaged, they should front the bill. Is there a problem with that?If I suspected a software product damaged my computer I would try & get compensated. So no problem.

I'm not here to bleed hate for HEM and the people who represent it. I love the product and have had nothing but top notch help. All I wanted was more info on the issue at bar.I am obviously not knowledgeable whatsoever with tech/support. I just want some piece of mind on this. If I've acted inappropriately in the way I've carried my business, I guess I'm sorry even though my intentions are quite obvious and respectful.I love it (in a way) too :)

###
"If it couldn't have possibly been HEM, how do I prove this?"
You can't prove a negative. The best way to do this is to somehow reproduce the problem. If that's not possible because say the original hardware no longer runs, then you have to work on the balance of probabilities. I was struck by your comment about the problem going away (for a while anyway) after you uninstalled the media player plug-in. Here's is a link to the mlb FAQ about system requirements maybe there is something useful in there for you - perhaps to do with the version of Flash for example: MLB.com FAQs | MLB.com: Help (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_system_requirements.jsp)

"...I downloaded a seemingly universally safe program, it possibly wrecks a computer that doesn't belong to me.."
"...Has anyone dealt with the above issue, with it being caused from that version of HEM?"
The causes of HEM crahes are covered here:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Crashing Problems With The Hud Or Holdem Manager (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/363/Crashing+Problems+With+The+Hud+Or+Holdem+Manager)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Multiple Random Crashes (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/125/Multiple+Random+Crashes)
I can find no reports of crashes caused by a HEM release in March
I suspect (but, obviously I don't know for sure) that it's a hardware related - a dodgy end-of-life HDD say that was pushed over the edge by having too many demands made on it

Please look through the FAQ's I've posted & let me know what you think

Tumaterminator
05-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Just to be clear there were two computers inflicted with the BSOD. Mine = mlb.tv plugin (seemingly), and my friend (who alleges HEM), so they're not related unless we're trying to diagnose a singular cause for the BSOD (which would make us rich?) lol.

No problems sir, thanks for the help :). I will be back only if there are more specific questions, but I will read through the FAQ's regardless. Thanks again.