PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly a losing player, tourneys incomplete

mrhobbeys
05-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I have been using the results of my tourneys with no problems for some time now, but today when I opened HoldemManager. I was down 2.2k, I was shocked upon further investigation I found that several hundred tourney's are now listed as incomplete. This was not a problem before I go in and make sure they are filled out correctly every few days.

Please help, this was sudden, yesterday a winner, today .......:eek:

netsrak
05-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Which site?
Which HM version?
Which tourney type?
Any filters set or connected to the wrong database?

mrhobbeys
05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Which site?

-FTP

Which HM version?

Which tourney type?

-It seems to be a mix of both MTSNGs and MTTs.

Any filters set or connected to the wrong database?

-No filters, I am making a new database in the hopes that I don't have to go in and re-enter the results data.

*If I import files from the archive folder and then archive to the same folder is that going to be a problem? I have been (cut/past) moving them out, but would help if I didn't have to do that.

netsrak
05-16-2010, 01:12 PM
If you import the files via import file or import from folder they will not be archived again. So thats no problem.

mrhobbeys
05-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Making the new DB worked.

I do want to know how this might have happened is it possible the DB was corrupt?

morny
05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
The 2 most common causes of this problems are
1) powering off your computer or having your computer lose power while the database is doing something and
2) an old drive with bad sectors on it. Basically what happens is a small portion of a file gets slightly corrupt and then when you reboot and windows goes into that checkdsk procedure it finds the bad section and, thinking it is doing a good thing, removes it. Postgres then loads the table and a portion of it is gone so it doesn’t like that and blocks access to the entire table. Normally when this happens it is on a completely useless file that you'll never even notice is now gone and quite often it will happen to an index in the DB which can easily be rebuilt but in your case it happened to one or more of the tables.

So, to protect against this

1) keep you hands histories in case you do need to reimport
2) use a power bar and avoid hard shutdowns (when you flick the power switch on the pc)
3) if your drive is old consider replacing it with a new one. They are cheap and much faster now than even a few years ago.

FWIW ive been using HM for probably 2 years, as part of internal testing we try out internal betas which would have more bugs than the versions we release, i regularly import hands people send that they cant get to import, i datamine 24 hours on a networked PC and i play poker regularly using HM and ive only gotten 1 corruption when my PC lost power during an import so it is extremely stable so if your having issues its most likely something on your PC