PDA

View Full Version : A few questions before purchasing - please!

wex_69
05-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi, I just have a few questions before I purchase the software.

1) I pretty much only player tournaments. I have heard Holdem Manager is better for tournaments than PT3 is. Is this true? What benefits does HEM have over PT3 in terms of tournaments only - i don't care about cash.

2) I plan on getting a new computer soon, what happens then? Will I be able to reinstall HEM with no problems and not have to repay?

3) I also play on my laptop, will I have to buy 2 copies?

4) I remember a while back I tried the trial version and had many problems importing hand histories. I have been playing on Pokerstars for 2-3 years now and have kept all my hand histories. Will HEM be able to import EVERY tournament? I remember talking to support about not being able to do so because with Pokerstar updates, they sometimes change the view/coding of older hand histories, and HEM didn't support it. Has this been fixed?

5) I don't know crap about computers, but when I look at the properties of my computer, it shows the following:
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
2.66GHz, 3.24 GB of RAM

Is this good? bad? too slow to run HEM? Any other requirements not mentioned to know if it will run well on my computer please let me know and I will tell you the data.

Thanks,

Wex

morny
05-14-2010, 02:50 PM
1) I dont use PT3 and dont play tournaments so ill leave it to other players to comment on this one, i guess trying out the trial will answer a lot of your questions. Were also making a big push for tourney support adding lots of new features and filters over the coming weeks so that should be a big benefit

2) Yes, See this FAQ FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Registration Benefits (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/26/Registration+Benefits) on how to reset your code

We have a new backup and restore feature that should make things easy moving PC
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/418/Backup+%26+Restore)

3) No, see 2, you can use up to 2 PCs and reset the codes if you move PCs to free up the code

4) If you have the original hands then yes there should not be a problem, youll need to request the summaries via stars and import them for any MTTs as the hand histories dont hold the information on prize money etc so we need that too just like PT3

Worst case scenario if you do have PT3 exported hands and they wont import for whatever reason you can request all your hands via stars email support and import those

5) Yeah you shouldnt have a problem with those specs, you can try the top 10 performance tips in my sig if you want to get an extra boost or if you have any performance issues

wex_69
05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Great, thanks for the responses. Just a question further about question #4. I have over 10,000 games played, so as you can imagine that's a LOT of HH's. I don't know how many times Stars upgraded their system and changed the format of how HH's are delivered but I can just assume all the HH's aren't in the same format. But if that's not a problem while importing them, great. You mentioned about requesting the summaries. The last time i checked, Stars will only send you the past 200 tournament summaries. Is this correct? If so, obviously I will not be receiving information on my results for 9,800 tournaments played, correct? Even though this may be the case, however, will I still receive HUD information from all 10,000 tournaments on all players?

morny
05-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah you can request the last 200 via the requests menu, if you request all the summaries theyll send you a htm file with the tourney number, profit, rebuy, and finish position, HM needs that

They should be all in the same format that stars sends regardless of how they were formatted at the time you played them, not sure how far back those 10k hands were so i envisage the only problem being they might not have the really old hands in the database but you can check with them to be sure

wex_69
05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Ok ya i recall doing that. I remember getting a file with alllllll my tournament summaries, but HEM (at the time i guess) wasn't able to import that type of file. But if this is all resolved now, then that's great.

Thanks for your help.

Wex

The Minder
05-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I'll offer some advice based on experience.

1. If you ever do play cash games, HM is by far the best poker software around. Not because of how you use it during a game, but because it has outstanding analysis features that really help improve your game. This alone is well worth the admission fee.

2. The same cannot be said for HM's tourney support. Search these pages and you will find many threads about tournies and HM, and the lack of progress that's been made. Essentially, if you play more than one type of tourney then the data presented by HM will be open to mis-interpretation. Also, HM reports for tournies are almost non-existent.

3. PT3 is brilliant at tourney support/analysis, but not so good at cash games... just my opinion.

wex_69
05-15-2010, 01:22 AM
ok thanks for your opinion.

1 more thing, is it FULLY compatible with windows 7?

The Minder
05-15-2010, 03:26 AM
ok thanks for your opinion.

1 more thing, is it FULLY compatible with windows 7?

The word "FULLY" is superfluous. HM was coded to meet windoze specifications.

wex_69
05-16-2010, 03:10 AM
one of my main concerns is being able to differentiate stats from early game and late game in MTTs and early and late game in turbo SNGs. These games are very different and having a common set of statistics for both games will just be very misleading to me. does HEM help with this?

The Minder
05-16-2010, 05:21 AM
one of my main concerns is being able to differentiate stats from early game and late game in MTTs and early and late game in turbo SNGs. These games are very different and having a common set of statistics for both games will just be very misleading to me. does HEM help with this?
During the game (ie, in the HUD), neither HM nor PT3 (I believe) can do this although some of us tourney players are trying to pursuade RVG that this should be a standard feature of HM for MTTs. I'm only just coming to grips with PT3 so I'm not 100% sure of this... you might like to pose the question in PT3's forum.

Another down side it that HM resets the hero HUD stats to zero every time hero moves to a new table... totally useless imo. So this would impact displaying the data you seek.

After the game, HM still offers little help. PT3 has a fully customizable report system that should be able to provide the analysis you seek.

Jolly1331
05-21-2010, 04:23 AM
2) Yes, See this FAQ FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Registration Benefits (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/26/Registration+Benefits) on how to reset your code

We have a new backup and restore feature that should make things easy moving PC
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/418/Backup+%26+Restore)

3) No, see 2, you can use up to 2 PCs and reset the codes if you move PCs to free up the code

Hi Morny and good morning to all of you!

I am going to purchase HM full license, but I am not sure to have understood how to use it on my two PCs.

I play o a PC from several years and have thousands of hands stowed on it but recently I purchased a laptop and I am playing on it too when I am at home.
I'd like to be able to share the HH stowed on both PCs on both of them with HM, at least for the hands I played till the time I purchase HM and, hopefully, update both database once a week.
Is it possible?
How can I do it?

Further, I heard around that the HUD do not work properly with Boss Media platforms, is it true?

Tks.

_Capt'n_Cardiac_
05-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Good morning Jolly

The easy way:-
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Run PostgreSQL Over a Network (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/90/Run+PostgreSQL+Over+a+Network+)
The better/harder (for most people) way:-
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How do I setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers? (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/336/How+do+I+setup+Holdem+Manager+to+share+one+databas e+between+two+computers%3F)

BOSS:-
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Boss Media Setup (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/326/Boss+Media+Setup)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Boss Media General Information (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/352/Boss+Media+General+Information)
There is a problem (I think still) with the HM HUD knowing the dif between 5max & 6max preferred seating, but if that isn't fixed it soon will be