PDA

View Full Version : Finding my old database in PostgreSQL

hejhej
10-10-2008, 05:40 AM
I few days ago my i got a virus and had to reinstall windows. Before that i was able to save my PostgreSQL database.
After reinstalling windows, i put back my Postgre 8.2 version and thoght i would be easy to get things going again.

Now HM cant see the database. When i go to database management im just able to create new databases. Not chose the one that i have there somewhere. What can i do about this?

When i put back postgreSQL i did it so it was exactly the same structure of it as before. Then i downloaded Postgre 8.3, couldnt find 8.2 anywhere, and pasted in my old data into the new folder.
Can the problem be that i need to find a 8.2 version to download to be able to past in my old data?
Should this be done in some other way?

Must say that dribbling with this is very frustating, when im not a computerwizard in any means. If someone could come up with a way to solve this i would be extremely greatful.

thanks,

hejhej

morny
10-10-2008, 02:09 PM
If you reinstalled windows without backing up your postgreSQL folder then your database is gone

hejhej
10-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Before i posted i had read the FAQ and tried to find some other poster with the same problem as im facing, but it didnt help.
I will try to be more specific about the exact way things went for me.

I got a virus that deleted alot of stuff on my computer. I asked a friend that is better with computers than i am to help me out. My holdemmanager was lost but the postgreSQL was still saveable.

We burned the whole postgreSQL folder on 5 dvd:s and then we reinstalled windows.
My holdem manager was lost.

After reinstalling windows my friend put back the postgreSQL folder with the exact structure as before.
I downloaded a new HM and registered it.

My plan was then to download postgreSQL and paste my saved folder into the new downloaded postgreSQL folder and it would start working.

First thing i couldnt find the postgreSQL 8.2 version. I then downloaded postgreSQL 8.3 and pasted in my old folder into the 8.3 folder.

I was hoping HM should be able to see my old database when i was at "manage databases" and clicked "connect". But i cant see my database i and dont know how to make HM find it.

Fwiw i have hands from partypoker, ongame, ipoker, crypto in my database.

Thats where i am now.

I hope i have provided enough info to make it at least possible to help me out.

hejhej

morny
10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Ok in the PostgreSQL folder youll see a data folder, this is the only folder well need. This can be found at X:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\PostgreSQL8.3\Data

Then uninstall PostgreSQL 8.3 and it will leave the following folder X:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\PostgreSQL8.3\Data you need to copy all the files from the Dat folder on the disk to this location.

Then reinstall PostgreSQL 8.3 to the same location and during the installation when it asks for the username and password a 2nd time youll see an "Initialise Database Cluster" tickbox, untick this and finish the installation and then all should be fine.