PDA

View Full Version : Can't establish a connection - 3rd time please help

The_Chopper
07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi,

HM has been working fine for me for about a week and I am currently using postgreSQL 8.3

When I try to open HM I get the following error (picture 1 & picture 4). I kept all passwords and usernames to default postgres/postgrespass etc.

When I look at control panel/administrative tools/services I see that postgres isn't running although it's automatic and I get the following error (picture 2).

When I log into pgAdminIII and try start the service and enter the above password I get the following error (picture 3)

This is my 3rd time with this problem, the last 2 times I had this error I just uninstalled postgreSQL and reinstalled this - obviously I had to reimport all my HH when doing this and it's very time consuming. Funny thing is that on both occasions it worked fine for about a week before experiencing the error.

I have my firewall turned off, but I have an antivirus running on my laptop (shouldn't matter though as it's worked for the last 3 weeks).

Edit: I realise this is not the latest version of HM, however I did upgrade to the other one which is when I got the error the first time

morny
07-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Can you try this please and see if that restarts Postgres

http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=34

The_Chopper
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Can you try this please and see if that restarts Postgres

http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=34

Hi,

Tried all that without success

Rvg72
07-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I suspect that it is your anti virus software intermittently interfering with the service. Can you let me know which program you use?

When this happens and you try re-running the service, it fails each time, right?

Roy

The_Chopper
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I suspect that it is your anti virus software intermittently interfering with the service. Can you let me know which program you use?

When this happens and you try re-running the service, it fails each time, right?

Roy

That's correct........

It failed yesterday for the 4th time and I had no choice but to uninstall and reinstall postgreSQL

morny
07-23-2008, 09:10 AM
What anti virus/firewall programs are you using?

The_Chopper
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
What anti virus/firewall programs are you using?

I'm using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise,

Just crashed for a 5th time, sigh!!!

Rvg72
07-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Any chance you could uninstall mcafee and then try this again? At least that way we could potentially isolate the problem and if it still happens you could reinstall mcafee.

Roy

The_Chopper
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Any chance you could uninstall mcafee and then try this again? At least that way we could potentially isolate the problem and if it still happens you could reinstall mcafee.

Roy

That's the one things I can't do. It's a work owned laptop and I don't have permissions to mess with the antivirus. Everything else I have access to

The_Chopper
07-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Once postgreSQL fails to startup I have to uninstall and reinstall it........

Every time I do this I have to reload all my hands again.

Is there a way to relink to the database again without having to set everything up again? For example if i call it holdemdatabase - where can i find this and how to i reconnect to it again?

morny
07-26-2008, 07:01 PM
On thing you can try is modifying/repairing instead of reinstalling through add/remove programs in the control panel.

Also is that McAfee include a firewall or have you the built in firewall, either way figure out how to include programs in the excluded/exceptions list for the antivirus/software and include the following files from the Holdem Manager directory:

HMHud.exe
HoldemManager.exe
DBControlPanel.exe

This worked for someone with a similar problem when he disabled these files in hes firewall. Let us know how that goes.