PDA

View Full Version : question on performance and whether my computer is a culprit

DeepBlue
05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I have been trying to play more tables lately. With 4 tables things were fine on my six year old computer (P4 with 2 GB of ram and decent video cards). When I now play 8-10, things get a bit sluggish. I thought I could make do but sometimes it gets worse, causing my clicks to not get picked up at first.

The HUD happened to crash during my latest 8 table session, and suddenly everything was lightning quick! I was amazed how much difference there was. No more missing clicks (and I was about to fault Ninja for being too heavy or something).

Can anyone recommend whether this is just normal for the HUD (a lot of 24 tablers don't use HUDs for this reason), or if I should look into further optimizations (I already run my database on a separate computer and it's not that big, less than 5 GB, and I have all opacity settings set to none)?

Or would a new computer really help that much? I really don't want to go through the pain of setting up a new computer and purchasing a decent one if it won't really help. I am ready to play without the HUD if that's the only true way to get lightning quick response. Otherwise I get too fatigued playing the number of tables I want to for more than an hour at a time.

morny
05-04-2010, 11:01 PM
See this thread http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

Theres also a lot of discussions there about PC setups

DeepBlue
05-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes I've read that one a few times - I guess I am just wondering if I can expect the response overall to be almost as quick as without the HUD if I get my setup upgraded (I don't expect I can optimize much more than I have now).

_Loki_
05-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Why not try a session with HUD & TN but with a much smaller DB just as an experiment ?
Someone on 2+2 played 24-table with a notebook (no TN) with a 0 DB to start & had no lag, but he didn't report back what happened with a larger DB

Also I've been wondering if less stats in the HUD is faster or does it make no dif ?