PDA

View Full Version : Complaints for my five hours

jordyun
05-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Hi,

I'm having a trip to visit my Dad and decide to use my dad's new computer to play poker for this week. I had so many problems in total which took me 5 hours to solve:

1.C++ runtime error. Even though I downloaded the new C++ runtime library as instructed, it's still the same.
2.I found that I can use "--install_runtimes 0" for postgres only installation. But this time it got stuck showing some cluster initialization problem.
3.I searched the threads and found that someone suggests 8.3.9. Tried that but the problem is still there. And it points to the Locale problem. I corrected the system locale but it still doesn't work.
4.Tried uninstall and re-install so many times, with so many different settings, and reseting the new PC so many times, still can't have it working. Tried those lines to initialize cluster manually, it did initialize but still can't start the service.
5.I not only changed the system Locale but changed the location as well so that it's showing all English. And made sure everyone had access to the Postgres folder. Tried the combo installer still not working, tried the 8.4 still not working, tried 8.3.9 finally it works.

Come on, spending 5 hours on this shxt is like an idiot. I can make 200 dollars in 5 hours. So fxcking sick.

I know it's mainly problems with PostgresSQL rather than HM. But if you understand that we pay money to get HM, this really feels bad. I have a lot of friends having problems installing Postgres. Why doesn't HM consider using other database system?

Jord

Patvs
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
PostgreSQL is open-source (read: free) and the best.
General rule when you install it (and run into problems)

-1 Update Windows, install ALL updates (also NON-critical updates) and the latest Service Pack
-2 Run the combo installer--> if SQL FAILS-->
download 8.3.10 from www.postgresql.org--> if that one fails--> download and install 8.2.16

8.2.16 always works (and 8.2.16 is STILL being updated so it's as good/fast as 8.3/8.4). I'd say about 20% of ALL users have the "can't initialize database problems" where 8.4.x simply won't run.