PDA

View Full Version : How to speed up Importing Hands?

samwY
04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm using a Q6600 Quad Core and I used to get 100 hands/sec while importing from a folder. Lately I've been getting 7-15 hands/sec. Why is it so slow and how can I speed it up?

btw, My database is on an external hdd via USB.

Thanks

fozzy71
04-30-2010, 08:31 PM
External HDD's are slow. USB is even slower. There probably isn't much you can do. You are limited by the hardware and usb connection.

If you search for 'import speed' you will find similar threads, but I doubt they will help you much with your setup.

Make sure you maintain your DB:

1 - Close HM and Open PGAdmin

2 - connect to postgresql server and then to the DB. Password is postgrespass in case you ever need it.

3 - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

4 - Vacuum, Analyze > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Do that ever 10 -30k hands.

Every 50 - 100k hands, after finishing the steps above:

A - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

B - Reindex > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Next we need to Stop the PostgreSQL service so the Defragmenter can Defrag the Database.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Stop Server

Open Smart Defrag > Select both drive letter checkboxes > Analyze

Pick suggested Defrag process > Start Defrag

After Smart Defrag finishes you should restart your computer.

If you need to use HM before you restart your PC, then you need to Start Server.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Start Server

samwY
04-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks.

I am using Postgresql 8.3 and never had any problems with it.

Would you recommend upgrading to 8.4? Will it help my performance a lot?

I don't want to risk running into more problems...

netsrak
05-03-2010, 04:21 AM
If you have a running 8.3 there is no need to upgrade to 8.4 (it would be a new installation). The performance improvements are only marginal (if there are some at all).

Arizona Willie
05-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I was importing purchased hands and was watching the process monitor that is in Windows 7 ( maybe Vista too, dunno ) and discovered that my virus program ( AVG ) was watching every read and every write which takes up processor cycles and slows things down tremendously.

I shut my modem off so I wasn't connected to the internet and disabled my virus program ( with AVG that is difficult ) and then the importing speed really jumped up there. I imported a million hands in less than 6 hours.

Then start your virus program again and reconnect to the 'net.

Other virus program may or may not watch so close. Use Process Monitor to see what is going on while importing.

And, don't forget to set the priority of your HM processes to High.

samwY
05-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Open Smart Defrag > Select both drive letter checkboxes > Analyze

Pick suggested Defrag process > Start Defrag

After Smart Defrag finishes you should restart your computer.

If you need to use HM before you restart your PC, then you need to Start Server.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Start Server

Where is smart defrag? I don't see it anywhere on Postgresql 8.3

Also, I'm pretty sure AVG has a lot to do with it. I'll try to turn it off next import. I remember used to get 100/hands sec

a-line
05-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Disk Defrag | Smart Defrag | Free Disk Defragmenter | Best Defragment Server (http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html)

_Loki_
05-07-2010, 04:05 AM
It's free - download here:
Smart Defrag - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/Smart-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10759533.html)

Avira + threatfire are my AV/malware progs
both free. both available from cnet. both easy to 'turn off' when you know it's safe