PDA

View Full Version : Another Corrupt DB.. Need New Ext HD?

craig1129
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure why my latest database got corrupted (at least the 2nd DB corrupted on this external HD). Anyway I created a new one. Then after importing a chunk of hands, I performed DB maintenance (vacuuming and reindexing). After that, when I resumed importing, I started getting nothing but import errors. So, I created a new DB to test the importing and it seems fine so far. However, I'm wondering if there is damage to the actual HD and it's just a matter of time before I run into more problems.

Also, I just realized that I should be backing up and restoring instead of reimporting all my hands. I have the same DB on another external HD that I'm planning on doing this with. I just need to know if I need a new external HD.

One more thing: Can you tell me approximately how many times faster it is to backup and restore a DB compared to rebuilding it? I'm trying to figure out a plan of attack for this 10-15 million hand DB that I have. Thanks.

_Loki_
04-29-2010, 06:37 PM
a small point, but have you run CHKDSK on the external drive ? What does it say ? What OS ?

CHKDSK in read only mode for now & see what it reports

craig1129
04-29-2010, 06:52 PM
I have no idea what that is or how to run it so no I haven't.

_Loki_
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
what OS are you ? I'll post instruction how to run CHKDSK on an external HDD if you tell me what your OS is, xp ? vista (yuk) ? win7

It's a windows utility that checks for disk faults & also fixes them if you ask it to. The fix can lose you some data though

craig1129
04-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I have Win 7.

Also, I have been reading through other threads and it looks like there is a chance that backing up and restoring a database can fail. Is this pretty common?

_Loki_
04-29-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't know - I believe there's more to go wrong than my method

I don't have a HUGE DB & I do everything I can to keep the DB compact - no hands older than 3 months for example. That way I just export/import into clean new DB & it doesn't take too long.

try this, but read carefully first:
How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) - Windows 7 (http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html)