PDA

View Full Version : How do I setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers? problem

roeky
04-29-2010, 02:14 AM
when i get to step C i dont get the "initialize database cluster" screen only "service configuration" first box is check "install as a service".

edit I been trying for a week by email support to fix the problem and i tried the faq, i make a thread out of last resort :confused:

i have the database set up on the external already and i just reinstalled windows

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9917/fghfghh.jpg

netsrak
04-29-2010, 04:10 AM
You get no answer from support@holdemmanager.net?
Did you check your spam folder?

This is the FAQ you need to follow: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)

The postgresql Version you are trying to install is pretty old. It possibly doesn't support this option.

roeky
04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
i been in contact with support for the last week and was told to try 8.3 and 8.2. I uninstalled windows and tried both but same result.

the faq is what i've been folllowing but on step c im getting the above screen and not the "initialize database cluster" screen

morny
04-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi,

Ive checked the database and the only emails we received this year were since the 26th April and i believe Pat has sent a couple of replies since then.

To answer your question, that screen is the very start of the installer, if you keep going you'll eventually get to the initialise database screen. Ideally this is more for advanced users, i wouldnt recommend trying this unless you know what your doing as your going to run into lots of problems not only with the installation part but with switching from one PC to another

roeky
04-29-2010, 04:36 PM
My db is already on the external hard drive because i had it set up that way for over 2 years.

i was following the faq but i didnt see the screen and was getting an error message that apparently you just click ok and move on. FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How do I setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers? (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/336/How+do+I+setup+Holdem+Manager+to+share+one+databas e+between+two+computers%3F)

I got thought the installer no problem then i installed holdem manager and it installed 8.4. now what?

thanks

morny
04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
No youll need to install PostgreSQL 8.3 like Pat mentioned because the 8.4 installer doesnt give you the option to connect to an old database, uninstall 8.4, install 8.3 and then follow the rest of the FAQ instructions on step A and then step C, let me know if you get stuck

roeky
04-29-2010, 08:55 PM
ok i uninstall 8.4 and installed 8.3 now when i get to the first screen step A i get an error when i enter a password or leave it blank

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6180/fdgdfgdfgg.jpg

netsrak
04-30-2010, 04:48 AM
You need to enter the password from your previous postgresql installation. The default password is postgrespass.

If you can't figure it out you should delete the postgres user before trying again:
Open a command box as administrator and type
net user postgres /delete

After successful completion you can start the installation again assigning a new password.

roeky
04-30-2010, 05:05 AM
You need to enter the password from your previous postgresql installation. The default password is postgrespass.

If you can't figure it out you should delete the postgres user before trying again:

After successful completion you can start the installation again assigning a new password.

thanks but i tried all the passwords i use and postgrespass none work so i reinstalled windows again. How can i keep holdem manager from installing 8.4?

morny
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
You didnt need to reinstall windows, you just needed to do what Karsten wrote:

Im not sure what you mean how do you prevent installing 8.4, the only way it can install is if you download it and install it. So just download 8.3 and it should now accept the password

If you download the combo installer from Holdem Manager make sure to untick the PostgreSQL install and just tick Holdem Manager install.

roeky
04-30-2010, 08:42 PM
You didnt need to reinstall windows, you just needed to do what Karsten wrote:

Im not sure what you mean how do you prevent installing 8.4, the only way it can install is if you download it and install it. So just download 8.3 and it should now accept the password

If you download the combo installer from Holdem Manager make sure to untick the PostgreSQL install and just tick Holdem Manager install.

thanks guys i got it working now. The combo installer was throwing me off by installing 8.4